New iMac rumours - thinner.... really?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theSeb, Oct 16, 2012.

1. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

So to make it thinner they are probably removing the 3.5" hdd and the thermals will be even worse than before. Great. This is just what we need in a "desktop" computer.

I've discussed this slightly elsewhere and another user pointed out that maybe it will have a 2.5" drive that is user replaceable. I would welcome this, but I doubt it. It will probably be stuck in tight behind the monitor underneath the CPU or something. Although one would think that Apple have learned from the iMac hard drive replacement fiasco that parts like mechanical hard drives should be user serviceable and easily removable. If it can be done on a MBP, then there is no excuse to not be able to do this on an iMac.

But what concerns me is that going thinner and with a 2.5" hard drive is not really the direction that was necessary for what was already a thermally constrained "desktop" computer. I am tired of listening to my rMBP's impression of a hair dryer. No matter how amazing and magical the new special fans are, Apple still has not managed to beat the laws of thermal dynamics. Fact of the matter is that the MBP halts to turtle speed under sustained CPU/GPU load. It seems to me that this is the way the iMac is going now too.

I am not normally one of the posters that throws their hands up in the air and predicts doom and gloom, but this form over function obsession that Steve Jobs left behind is now getting stupid. The iMac did not need to be thinner. This is meant to be a bloody desktop and not a glorified laptop with a bigger screen. I can't help but feel disappointed. The 6 core refurbished Mac Pro is looking mighty nice right now, but I can't spend that sort of money for a dinosaur GPU and not have SATA III and USB 3. It's criminal.

I can't help but feel that Apple is running out of ideas. Simply making their products thinner is not always revolutionary or a good thing, especially when it's not necessary. A well thought out and engineered design that takes into account both form and function would be welcome. Substance over style. I've never looked at an iMac and thought, "Damn, what this really needs is to be thinner because it's a fat pig". Am I a minority in thinking this?

2. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

let's see what they will release first shall we.

About thickness. If you can get a rMBP on steroids plastered behind that screen I don't really see what's the problem.

If you get a beautiful 27" screen with less reflective gloss, probably about 1tb of SSD, 680m GPU, USB 3, 32gb of ram.....all working cool and fine because of the size of it in width and height. If this doesn't give you a hard on then I think iMac never was your cup of tea in the first place.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll remain optimistic until they officially announce it. I don't think they've ever buggered up the ol' reliable iMac line.

And that said if they do bugger it up it'll be the push to make me buy/build my own computers instead.

4. bennybuyer macrumors newbie

To quote a recent thread from AppleInsider:

For those who are complaining that the current iMac isn't competitive enough in the PC specs wars, or that a redesign shouldn't focus on alleged thinness, I think you've completely forgotten (or never knew) what the iMac product is and has always been all about.

Apple's marketing message for iMac has always been pretty consistent, and it's not about the megahertzes.

If this doesn't appeal to you, then the iMac is simply not for you.

5. theSeb, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

:rolleyes: I don't care about spec wars. I want a computer that can actually do more than browse facebook whilst using OS X without hitting the thermal limits and having to put up with throttling due to the temperatures reached. The iMac is not for me then? If that is the case, then, frankly, the iMac is not for anybody. This is a simple engineering problem that Apple needs to solve. The obsession with anorexia is getting old and boring.

6. washburn macrumors 6502

do you think it will be like a giant MBA or more like MBPr?

7. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

It will be like a bigger rMBP in terms of screen size and with a bezel attached to the back that cannot be adjusted.

8. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

C'mon the current iMac is all ready more powerful than the rMBP... So no it won't be like the air.

9. washburn macrumors 6502

I meant like in terms of design cues, how the thing will look

10. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

go buy a pc mate. Apple are about aesthetics and some people like that. I am one of those people.

11. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Well that's not really helpful. I've 4 Macs. Is it a crime to want a computer that looks nice, runs OS X and is fast too without thermal issues? I guess so according to the responses here.

12. bennybuyer macrumors newbie

So you're operating purely under the assumption that Apple can't solve the problem, but have chosen to go ahead and release it anyway?

Either you're claiming that the current iMac doesn't do those things you want it to (and a move to a thinner design would be a step backwards), or that you happen to know more about this rumoured iMac than anyone else; including Apple's own engineers. Which one is it?

Apple has always been in the business of making beautiful products, inside and out. If Apple has somehow managed to fit a powerful desktop computer into something that shares a similar footprint to a Cinema Display, that is an amazing engineering feat. I don't see how you could argue otherwise.

13. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Your requirements are not a crime. Neither is it unreasonable to expect the new model to be a better performer than the old one.

As to heat issues, throttled cpu, slow hard drive - they're all speculation based on one rumour from a Chinese website. You seem to have decided already that the new iMac is going to put form over function. I think that's unjustified right now.

14. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Shall we wait for the official announcement and specs before we start moaning at Apple. I can't see them ruining the iMac. I think the high end 27" will pack a punch and that is all I am concerned with.

15. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

That is exactly what Apple has done with the MBP. They could not solve the problem and released it anyway. Why should I assume that it will be any different with the iMac, if it becomes thinner. It's already a thermally constrained case that struggles to keep the internals cool. I guess the constantly failing hard drives are just bad luck and a coincidence?

They've managed to fit a lot into the rMBP. Does it work very well? No. Moving to a thinner design is a pointless and backwards step. Who needs it to be thinner? Do you carry it around with you to the coffee shop? For goodness sake. Take off your apologist hat and think for a moment. What is the point of shaving off a couple of centimetres or millimetres and sacrifice stability and performance?

----------

Indeed. That is true. Unfortunately a lot of these rumours that were just speculation (no more 17" etc) have come true. This is what worries me.

This guy is spot on in the news / rumours discussion thread

16. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

come on people look past your nose stop jumping to conclusions. You feed off negativity so much. This is speculation and also if true might be great. How do you know what will work and what won't? If you do you should be making computers not Apple. Don't judge before you try it. If you really cannot see this then you don't really care about the design anyway, may as well go with the homemade bomb.

17. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

You like it pretty and you think thinner will be prettier. That is ok. This is a discussion regarding rumours, since this site is called mac rumours. A discussion is not necessarily negative just because you disagree with it.

18. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

People scream about re-designs then when they happen they all moan.

This is why Apple don't use focus groups and why Steve said "People don't know what they want"

19. bennybuyer macrumors newbie

You can assume whatever you want. My main point was that your hypothetical beef with a hypothetical design problem of a hypothetical product makes you sound a bit stir-crazy.

Agreed. Design by committee is the enemy of innovation.

20. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

I am sorry. I thought discussing rumours was kind of the point of this site. I clearly missed the latest memo about the change of agenda.

So making things thinner is immediately seen as innovation in your eyes? At what point does innovation becomes moving backwards? Especially when it causes the product to become unfit for the purpose it was actually designed for?

21. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

so basically what we are taking away today is that you can be sure it will be better than the current iMac even if it is thinner because Apple engineers are better than you moaners and groaners out there. Kapeesh?

----------

look at the title of this thread. It is sarcastic. That is just the first point of being negative.

22. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, that's exactly what we're taking away. I was blind, but now I see.

What? I wrote the title so I know whether it's sarcastic, or not. Look, if you don't want to participate like an adult, then don't. A discussion is not necessarily a personal attack on you, just because you want a thinner iMac.

23. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The trouble is that NONE of the current line-up is for me -- and probably for quite a few other people.
    And don't say "well, go buy a PC, then". Lots of people have been using Macs for decades and have software that doesn't run on other platforms. (iWork, Logic, FCP, AppleScripts for Creative Suite, etc, etc.)

If the iMac is simply a 27" MBP without a hinge, and the next option up is massively over-priced for its ageing spec, then there's a real hole in the market.
    A lot of people are going to have to make a compromise when they buy their next Mac. And when you're shelling out that money, making a compromise is going to leave you unsatisfied and disgruntled.
    When people have large piles of cash and are desperate to give it to Apple, it does seem a fair criticism that Apple is not giving people what they want.

24. bennybuyer macrumors newbie

I've only been on this forum for a very short amount of time and this seems to be the wall people hide behind the most. There's a difference between discussing rumours and vehemently arguing something as if it is somehow decreasing your quality of living. I'm not denying your right to complain, I'm just telling you that it makes you sound desperate.

Like I said, if Apple was to fit more powerful components (or even the same ones) into a smaller footprint, then yes, to me that is innovation.

I think your definition of 'unfit for purpose' varies wildly from mine. You make it sound like you've churned through dozens of these things. If this computer seems so crazily defective, why are you hanging around? Personally, after using an iMac at home and at work for a number of years, I am yet to have serious problem that I could pin on its design.

25. bennybuyer macrumors newbie

I'm not arguing that Apple aren't neglecting the prosumer market (I'm unsure if you fall into that category), but if you're doing work that requires constant hardware upgrades, then the iMac seems like a pretty poor choice to begin with.