New iMac running unreasonably slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dim3tapp, Oct 7, 2011.

1. dim3tapp macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm by no means new to Apple, which is why I'm asking this. I just bought a new 27" iMac 3.1GHz quad core with 8GB of DDR3 RAM. There is barely anything on its 1TB hard drive. This is the newest and most powerful stock iMac. I use it for work as a graphic designer - meaning I use Adobe CS 5.5 products. The problem is that when using these programs, manipulating images, text boxes etc is terribly slow and choppy. This is not the case with my older iMac or the crappy Toshiba tiptop I've had to deal with up until this point. In fact, the 2GHz duo core Windows XP machine is easily outperforming my new iMac. I know this is wrong and I can't figure out what the problem is... so, any ideas?

2. tuna macrumors 6502

Sounds like a hard drive issue, bad hard drive freezing up your computer while its taking excessive time to seek the data. Could be either the internal drive or maybe an external you have hooked up.

That would be my guess anyway.

3. dim3tapp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. This iMac is fresh out of the box 2 days ago. If it comes down to the hard drive, that's a bummer, but based on some tests I did (i.e. working of a network drive or off the iMac drive) there seems to be no improvement in performance. It's just surprising that I have never seen poor performance like that even with older models of the iMac and even with the Windows laptop I was using before, which literally has less than half of all the stats (RAM, HD space, processing power, monitor size ;)) of my iMac.

4. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

im sorry to hear that ur mac is running slowly , and also i dont want to hijack your thread but ive recently bought an imac as well (2 weeks ago) and its slow also..
    Is there a test i could do so i can figure out if its a hard drive issue?