New iMac - same buzzing screen as Nov 2010 Gen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ewhite, May 15, 2011.

1. ewhite macrumors member

Hello All,

Happy user of a late 2010 iMac 21.5" system here with the "LCD Screen" buzz that these units have when the screen is dimmed. A search of this forum will pull up several resources who have confirmed this is part of the LCD/LCD biard design and there is really no fix.

Curious if any new iMac users for the new/just released Gen have noticed the buzz is gone or if it is the same.

Thanks!

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Is there really no fix to this? I have been taking my time to take it back to the apple store to get repaired. I'd be very peeved if this could not be repaired. It's damn annoying, especially whe the screen turn off and it buzzes for a while

3. ewhite thread starter macrumors member

If you search a bit in this forum you'll find a member that posted a lot of data (engineering background) and a video showing how this is something that cannot be repaired exactly.

I hardly notice mine anymore, and if it starts to bother me due to a long day at work or a certain angle I am sitting near or around my PC I use headphones. In the summer with the A/C on the noise is completely drowned out.

At first when I really focused on the noise I though the iMac would have to go back. But when I started actually using the iMac I found myself focused on what I was doing and the noise, while there, was not on my mind.

It's the kind of thing that not everyone will hear due to differences in human hearing. I remember a 19" Flat Aperture CRT I once had that drove me nuts with the CRT buzz of the day and thankfully this is not as bad.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

it wouldn't surprise me, the design hasn't changed at all outwardly, and presumably not a great deal internally since the problem really started to occur with the late 2009 models.