New iMac sat in box next to me!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ritzuk, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ritzuk macrumors member

Here is my ridiculous story.

I have a 20" G5 iMac. It's an awesome computer and does almost everything I need. I upgraded it to Leopard, put in the most RAM it can have (2.5gb) and bought a 320gb Lacie external hard disk for a Time Machine.

However, one thing has always niggled me - I was one of those unlucky people who bought the computer a month before Apple switched to Intel. Since then, I've missed out on some quality PC games like Medieval 2 which I've been aching to play. Furthermore, I had become concerned that the PowerPC chips are likely to be unsupported in the future and my sound card (or drivers) keeps intermittently failing to work after booting the computer (Onyx fixes this) and it goes through spells of forgetting my preferred wireless network. I think this may be down to the Leopard upgrade, as it never used to do this on Tiger. A fresh install might cure the problem, but it's rather minor.

Fast forward three years and I've just finished four years at University (during which my Mac never missed a beat). Thinking that I could sell this Mac for around £450-500 (seriously, they sell for this price on eBay), I would save money by building a PC and putting on Vista. I could expand it in the future, and wouldn't have to rebuy things like the monitor, mouse & keyboard, case and PSU. It can't be that bad, right?

Right. Vista wasn't too bad at all. What was, however, was the incredible amount of noise generated by the thing. Incredibly, every component I bought was 'silent' so I shouldn't have had this problem. Luckily, I bought from eBuyer and they were brilliant. Fearing having to eBay the thing, they accepted it as a return.

Rewind to last Wednesday. My brother, the avid Mac hater and computer programmer, finally got fed up of bashing his (incredibly expensive) PC around with a wrench after a nightmare of Vista 64 driver issues, leaking water cooling solutions, fried RAM... the list goes on. After hearing wonderful stories about my Mac, he decided to take the plunge. Eager to use my student discount for the final time, I decided to buy one too to replace my ageing machine.

When there, we bought two top of the range iMacs. Originally, I was going to wait until January to see if the lower end models saw a GPU increase, but decided that the 24" behemoth had plenty of poke with a 8800 stuck in it.

However, when I got home I was a bit confuddled.

I'd just spent £1300 on a new iMac... and I'm starting to wonder if I need such an expensive computer. I don't really need the 24" screen, as 20" is fine, but the GPU on the smaller model is an absolute disaster taking into account the overall price of the machine, thus making me opt for the bigger computer. Furthermore, my Time Machine is now too small for the 500gb hard disk the new iMac comes with.

Should I return it? Should I bite the bullet and start transferring all my stuff over using the £15 Firewire cable? Should I sell all my worldly possessions as penance for making such poor and hasty buying decisions?

2. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

If you can afford it, use it. If you can't, return it. Pretty simple.

3. 156457 macrumors 6502

4. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Phew! that's a tough call to make. Can you wait ti Jan 09 for a new computer? They will most likely see an update then. But nothing too major. Mind you if the Xmas sale period is as bad as it looks then Apple may have loads of current models left over so no update in Jan! :(

£1300 in the current climate is a lot for a computer. Mind you I paid £1400 for my first gen 24". But prices of large screens have dropped so much that that does not seem too cheap. Is it £1300 with the edu discount?

I would be tempted for a refurb MacPro - much better graphics and a dell 20" screen (or 23") - Still my 24" is absolutely amazing so you will not be disappointed. You can get refurb 24" iMacs for £949 if the graphics are acceptable.

Just my 2p worth.

5. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Just had a peek and no iMac refurbs on the store :(

Maybe in the morning.

6. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

Open it! I would if I had a wonderful precious machine in a box waiting to be opened.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Keep it! The current model is an awesome machine.

8. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

if u feel it's too much to spend at the moment. Take it back and buy it again in january for cheaper when the new iMacs are released. But u have bought the top spec which means you've bought for the future :)

9. moez macrumors regular

I would look into buying a base model of MacPro or maybe a refurb MacPro. Easy to expand in the future as need arises and you dont need a monitor now since you already have a 20" one.

With MacPro, you get better speeds, easy of upgrade and easier to replace parts.

10. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

well i am not going to tell you what to do but the iMac probably will be refreshed in January at macworld.

it MIGHT contain updates to it that the current iMac does not have such as:

'DDR3 1066mhz memory
    'updated graphics chip
    'hard drives should not see an update (maybe a price drop)
    'updated cpu's (maybe a quad core)

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

My only reasons to spend it back would be if I could not afford it. Or the liklyhood that it will be updated in January. I suspect only a speed bump but since it is not very far away it would probably be worth waiting.

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The display in the 24" model is not only bigger but it is much, much better quality too. It has a vastly better viewing angle and is generally much more pleasant to look at. I made a mistake getting a 20" model and I regret it very much.

Any updates in January will be minimal and Apple aren't about to put a decent GPU in any of their consumer machines. I'd definitely go as far as to say that any update to the 20" models in January will not see them surpass the 8800 in graphics performance.

I do know one thing is for sure though - PC gaming is pretty much dead. The big releases for the future all either involve The Sims or World of Warcraft and if you're not into those games then you're probably better off with a console. I'm saying this as a former hardcore PC gamer now doing all of my gaming on PS3 and Xbox 360.

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Don't be lame and have buyers remorse. Be a man and recognize what you deserve in this life. Or be lame and take it back and pay restocking fee and save $200 (or whatever) and live within your means* like a nice little boy. Don't be dumb, keep the 24" and don't feel guilty about it.

*This is coming from an American who, as most Americans, lives outside his means and loves it.

14. Tourist macrumors member

I moved from a 2Ghz 20" G5 Imac to a 2.8 24" Intel with an 8800 about 3 months ago and I would never go back, the difference is amazing, you will not be disappointed with your purchase, it will last you a solid 5 years at least and is a great machine.

Also as an aside, the current UK price points for apple products would have been set pre the October Meltdown, if there is an update in January, I would not expect to see any price reduction given the Pound's recent Tanking, they might even rise!

15. akidd macrumors regular

Open it

Open it. Enjoy it. Love it.

I bought my 3.06 24in a few months ago and I wouldn't be with out it. I'm not at home this week (using iBook) and I have to say I can't wait to get back to it.

You made the right decision when you bought it. Enjoy it.

16. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I take it you've recently graduated and are now a working adult? :) Do you use your computer as much as you did in university? Are you bothered by it being slow, not being able to run software you want, or otherwise hindering your household or hobbyist needs? If so, get a new computer (within your budget) and enjoy!

But, if you're new to making a full time salary, have school loans, or don't use your computer like you did as a student, it's perfectly sensible to save some money and stay with your old system for a while longer.

And if you have other hobbies -- or maybe new / more expensive hobbies -- since finishing school, you might want to spend money on those instead of the computer.

If you can afford it, and it suits you keep it. And if you can't or you're not that interested in a new Mac, return it and don't think twice on it.

17. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

I use a 120 GB external for my macbook, because I only use about 80 GB of space on my hd. Unless you're using >320GB on your iMac, that shouldnt affect anything.

18. marcdds macrumors newbie

marcdds

update

I have recently bought my first Mac, a Mac Mini (to keep the cost down). It's hooked up to a KVM switch so I can still use my PC for work programs. I want to upgrade to an iMac next year. Are they much faster than the mini?

What about running Boot Camp or Fusion? Can I do it on my mini, or should I wait until I get the iMac?

19. ritzuk thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thanks for all the replies. It seems the forum reflected my mindset - divided!

I decided to keep my current computer and take back the 24". Thrifty!

I've never done this before. One poster said, I should be 'a man' - and I usually am with things like this; if I buy something I keep it. However, while it might be easier to live with mistakes, it's not always the right decision.

There was a number of advantages to returning it:

We bought two iMacs at the same time - by returning the full price product, my brother got my student discount across the computer, RAM and warranty. All in all, he saved over £300.

I saved a lot of money. I don't need a 24" screen size, or the power. Even if the new macs go up in price in the UK, it's still a lot cheaper than £1250. The 24" screen is much nicer than the current 20", but I noticed the panel on mine seems richer than the current 20". Could just be the colour settings, but I expected more vibrant colours with the glossy screen.

The comments out of this forum are spot on - PC gaming is tanking and I play any games nowadays on my PS3 (replaced my 360 after it melted) or Wii. Also, I don't spend as much time with my computer now I've finished University, so the need for a new computer is much diminished after I assessed my situation. I can put the money to more useful things, such as saving for a marriage and a house deposit. Did I really just type that?

However, the original reasons for replacing this iMac still exist, to some degree. I would like an Intel iMac in the future to see a speed increase and play the odd round of Medieval 2, but perhaps a white Macbook would be the perfect companion for my G5 iMac? I could take this to work and back, and hook it up to an external monitor....

Or, I should probably just save my money and wait to see what January brings.

Thanks everyone for the advice - I've amazed at the quality, and maturity, of all the posters. Can the MacRumours forums be classed as internet forums at all anymore without falling prey to all the senseless comments and childish behaviour found on most?!

20. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think you made a good choice. I was in a similar situation a week ago. I had a 17" iMac G5 for 4 years and felt that it was starting to show it's age. I also wanted to switch to Intel as programs and features are starting to release only for that architecture. I graduated a few years ago from college and my computer time at home has dropped off quite a bit since then. I now want to enjoy my evenings rather than sit in front of a computer. I found a good deal on an Aluminum iMac on the marketplace here (one in my sig now) for $999 shipped. Even though I make good money and could afford more, I knew that it would have been a waste for my needs. I also am trying to save for the future and saving $500-$1000 is a big deal this early in life. Also, I can sell my old computer and further reduce the investment to upgrade. I see this computer lasting me a very long time and am very happy with it.

21. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

How dare you spend so much on something so frivolous while there is so much suffering in the world.

P-Diddy actually had to fly on a commercial airline, COMMERCIAL! With regular people!

Shame on yooouuuuuuuuu!

22. ritzuk thread starter macrumors member

Haha, I know - I'm such a selfish, materialistic fool! I don't deserve any of this!!!

23. Smacky macrumors 6502

Didnt the credit crunch also start in the US?

24. elmancho macrumors 6502

elmancho

Haha!:D