Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N33t

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
I recently purchased a new iMac. The spec is as follows:

• 3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB Fusion Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
I am generally happy with the system. My only concern is that when I open certain programmes (mostly games) I get a moment of "scrambled" graphics i.e. choppy blocks of colour and static. It only lasts 1/2 a second or so.

Is this an issue other people have encountered? Should I be concerned / ask for a replacement system?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I recently purchased a new iMac. The spec is as follows:

• 3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB Fusion Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
I am generally happy with the system. My only concern is that when I open certain programmes (mostly games) I get a moment of "scrambled" graphics i.e. choppy blocks of colour and static. It only lasts 1/2 a second or so.

Is this an issue other people have encountered? Should I be concerned / ask for a replacement system?

I have the same 2GB card in my new 27" with the 3TB Fusion drive...I haven't encountered any such issue...But if it's just a flicker when loading I wouldn't be unduly concerned, just keep an eye on it..If it starts happening in Apps then you might need a replacement, but for now I don't think it's major.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I have noticed similar artefacts on a number of different Macs. It seems that when an OpenGL view is initialised, it will allocate a random chunk of VRAM for its framebuffer and under certain circumstances you will see the 'old' content of that chunk. It might be some random noise or old images of windows/window parts. Anyway, I don't think there is any reason to worry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.