Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyr.

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Antwerp, Belgium
It's condensation. I first noticed a slight discoloration in the lower right hand corner of my 24" imac screen some 15 minutes after I switched it on. I talked to the guy at my local mac reseller and he confirmed it was condensation which apparently gets released when the machine is first turned on and that their display model had it too. It's caused by the macs getting shipped and stored in a cold environment and then running hot. It disappears in the space of an hour or more depnding on the workout you give your machine.
It disappeared on my machine after approx. an hour.

Screenshot or it didn't happen :

IAFFHAaBi

No panic. It does beg the question if dust might get lodged between the glass and screen over time. However seeing the disassembly pics I highly doubt this myself.

Edit: Ok I'm new here so don't shoot me for the image not working you can see it at http://bayimg.com/IAFFHAaBi
I'll figure out how to post images eventually.

Tyr.

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Antwerp, Belgium
Eek....condensation inside the computer does not sound good to me.

allison.

I think it's because cold air from the storage space is trapped between the glass and the mac is then moved into a warm (supposedly) office or living room, causing the effect on the glass (in a limited area at that). It's not like there was water running down there or anything.

Interestingly I found this in an lcd tv manual :

"If a cold TV set is moved to a warm room, always allow any condensation
on the screen to evaporate before switching it on."

So I guess any prospective buyers might want to let their imacs acclimatize for an hour or so. Mine went right from storage in the shop, conveniently located 100m away, to a hot appartment presumably leaving no time for the colder air inside between glass and monitor to get replaced naturally with the hotter air of the room.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Let's resurrect this thread, shall we? I just got my new iMac last weekend. I'm trying to figure out if I'm seeing any yellowing or not. Sometimes I'll stare at my 24" (solid color backgrounds) and sometimes I think there are some slight gradients in colors.. specifically yellowish, but then when I give it another look I think they aren't there. But then I look again and I think they're there. I'm just having a hard time figuring out if it's one of those "all in your head" things or if something is actually wrong. Any further reports of this at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.