New iMac...so far

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gaelan, Jun 20, 2007.

1. gaelan macrumors regular

I have had the new iMac set up for less than 24 hours. Just within the few hours of setting it up and transferring files I've experienced:
    • 2 never ending beach balls while adjusting networking configuration. Couldn't force quit. Had to shut down.
    • 1 forced shut down while opening some apps - ~3 were already open and message came up saying that I would have to hold the power button down to shutdown.
    • 2 very long beach balls - 1 in iweb and 1 in iphoto
    • and this nightmare

The iMac has a gig of RAM. Is this type of stuff normal?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That is not good at all. What you are experiencing is NOT normal, and is indicative of a hardware problem. Did you install any RAM in that Mac yourself? Even if you didn't, bad RAM is a possible cause.

Also, I once experienced similar crashing and freezing on a new iMac I bought (this was before the Intel transition). Turned out that the PMU needed to be reset - once that was done, everything worked perfectly.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, agree... there's something wrong there.

The only quick question I have is... when you say transferring files, are you talking purely about documents, or by any chance could you have transferred Library contents or apps or anything from a non-Intel mac?

4. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Evaluate what you were moving to your Mac. If it seems safe, exchange your Mac asap.

5. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

all RAM is Apple stock.

just transferred photos, music and movies via ethernet through the router.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Then call Applecare now and start a ticket... sounds like defective hardware. It could range from a cable harness being loose somewhere to bad memory, but you should let them deal with it.

7. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

should i mention the beachballs and restart prompts or just concentrate on the not getting online problems?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, I would suggest you concentrate on the former. If you concentrate on the latter, I suspect you'll spend an excessive amount of time with people convinced that you don't know how to hook up your internet connection. ;)