New iMac software issues! Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FFwade, Nov 16, 2013.

1. FFwade macrumors newbie

I just recently bought a mid 2011 iMac. The previous owner has wiped the hard drive clean. The computer did not come with any sort of software restore disk. When I start up the computer it brings me to a pop up box with the option to install OSX Mountain Lion, but when I click on it, it asks for the previous owner's app store info.

I can't get past this because the computer's HD is wiped and needs OSX to be reinstalled. I don't have a hard copy, nor have I bought OSX Mountain lion on my app store account.

Thanks!

2. Bruno09, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You need to use the Recovery, see here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

This will work only if the Mac came with Lion installed (not sure…) : the Recovery will download and install Lion, then you will be able to go to the App Store and "buy" Mavericks with your own Apple ID (Mountain Lion is no longer available).

EDIT : According to Mactracker, the Mid 2011 iMac shipped with Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or 10.6.7.
    Therefore, the Snow Leopard retail DVD currently sold by Apple would not work (10.6.3).

Alternatively, you might "buy" Mavericks from another computer, make a bootable installer with Disk Maker X and use it to install Mav. to the iMac.

3. FFwade thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have any references of how to make a bootable installer with disc maker X?

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

My first reply was not very clear.

Your Mid 2011 iMac should have come with 2 grey install DVD (one being Snow Leopard).
    You then would have been able to install SL, then go to the App Store and buy Mavericks with your Apple ID.

You can not use the Recovery because it would look to install the Mountain Lion installed by the previous owner.

You can buy Mavericks from another Mac, with your Apple ID, and use Disk Maker X to create a bootable installer (USB stick, or a partition of an external hard drive). It can't be easier : http://liondiskmaker.com/?lang=en