New iMac soon????????

Joves best

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
2
0
Hi everyone. Does anyone have any ideas if the iMac is due for an update soon and if so what it might be? as I'm thinking of buying and am not sure wether to hold on a while or not.

Cheers,
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,080
287
Indianapolis
I'm borderline on an iMac update. I'm half expecting to see a speed bump on it. (2.0/2.16 GHz) That's all that I expect though.
 

yellowmunky

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2006
45
0
There probably will be an update over the summer!

Intel are bringing out new CPU's and hopefully they will go in iMac's asap!

Most likely End of July - Early Sept
 

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
2,582
0
Ireland
According to the buyers guide then it should be updated soon. That's if apple are as predictable as we hope.

I wanted a 17" iMac but i think i'll wait for the refresh. I have my MacBook on the way, got my mini to do my desk duty (great little trooper it is) and it's summer time so i'll be out more than in.
 

Joves best

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
2
0
Thanks for the reply's folks but do you think it's a case of waiting days, weeks or months? Especially knowing what Apple are like;)
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,080
287
Indianapolis
Joves best said:
Thanks for the reply's folks but do you think it's a case of waiting days, weeks or months? Especially knowing what Apple are like;)
It depends on how badly you want the computer vs. the chance of waiting for one after an update. I'd give it 2-4 weeks at most. Then again I have been saying two weeks for the past month...
 

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
2,590
166
Washington, DC
Eidorian said:
The Buyer's Guide does suggest an update. Intel's chip price drop also hints at a possible one.
Of course, the usual update schedule was not during a time when Apple was transitioning its entire line to an entirely new chipset.

That said, presumably speed bumps but not a heck of a lot more, are in order in the next couple of months. But who really knows? The company would be better off pushing out the new Power Macs than giving a speed bump to consumer machines that probably aren't necessary.
 

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
1,345
12
Maybe a minor update in next couple of months. I expect to see an all new imac in fall (after rebate expires) which integrates home entertainment.
 

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
2,582
0
Ireland
Le Big Mac said:
Of course, the usual update schedule was not during a time when Apple was transitioning its entire line to an entirely new chipset.

That said, presumably speed bumps but not a heck of a lot more, are in order in the next couple of months. But who really knows? The company would be better off pushing out the new Power Macs than giving a speed bump to consumer machines that probably aren't necessary.
A speed bump is necessary for me. I want a 17" iMac with the specs of the 20". Can't be that hard to put that together. I'd pay for the priviledge. I really just don't need another 20" monitor on my desk.
 

trpt192

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2006
14
0
Heart of Illinois
I personally don't think we'll hear anything until august/september about an iMac update. Merom won't be coming out until august which puts it in line for WWDC at the earliest and maybe the Apple Expo in Paris(Sept. 12th)? Who really knows with the whole switch to intel. I've personally been waiting about a month or two for an update(speed bump) but I've decided to just give in and buy one. I want to start using it before going back to college.
 

Smiley06

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2006
2
0
Hey guys, I'm new to macrumors and all but this thread really caught my attention:D I recently sold my 2.0 Ghz, 17" iMac G5 and I decided it would be nice to dump the crappy ass 9600 card, and be able to run windows and have front row etc. Well the dealio now is since I am only 15 I have to save up the rest of the money required for a new machine and my dad bought my iMac. So now I would be able to get my iMac on my birthday ( independence day) Since it would be a good deal since I still have my exams and I would otherwise lose my concentration due to the comp. I decided however I wanted the 20" iMac because of the speed advantage and the resolution and 256MB graphics card, and 1GB of Ram to start. So I was wondering should I wait for a new iMac or get this one on my b-day:rolleyes:
`Smiley
 

arachn1d

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
67
0
I'm in the same position, I could buy it now, and I really want it mainly for programming and just having a mac for my first time. but if a newer one is coming out soon then is it worth it?

Let me know...
 

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
623
38
PA
arachn1d said:
I'm in the same position, I could buy it now, and I really want it mainly for programming and just having a mac for my first time. but if a newer one is coming out soon then is it worth it?

Let me know...
i was in the same boat last xmas/winter break when i was considering a laptop and wanted an apple. did some research and i heard about the new intel chips coming out and decided to wait. the macbook pros came out and were too $$$ and not what i wanted.. 6 months later.. the macbook was well worth the wait.

id say wait cause it sounds like you want the new one but you want it now, so if you get the old one you just wouldnt be fully satisfied.
 

arachn1d

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
67
0
well how good is the one now? is it fast compared to apples? is it medium? can it do any gaming on windows (obvlivion performance?)

If it's good now, I'll be fine to buy it.
 

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
623
38
PA
arachn1d said:
well how good is the one now? is it fast compared to apples? is it medium? can it do any gaming on windows (obvlivion performance?)

If it's good now, I'll be fine to buy it.
mac gaming isnt my forte (more PC guy) but hardware wise an iMac is up to par for games like oblivion and HL2 (this thread seems to have some satisfied windows HL2 players:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=191818&highlight=half+life+2). software is more where you'll be limited, not hardware.
 

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
1,568
0
Brooklyn
Just when I got enough guts to decide to buy an iMac this week, you guys have to go and make ANOTHER thread like this. :( I haven't bought it yet, but I have the money and I WANT IT NOW. :(!
I was informed by several people that a speed bump would probably not happen for at least 2 months, if not more, if at all. :\

And now you people drive me crazy by putting more doubt in my mind! AGH!
Just when I thought all I had to decide on was Mighty Mouse VS wireless mouse/keyboard!
 

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
623
38
PA
seenew said:
Just when I got enough guts to decide to buy an iMac this week, you guys have to go and make ANOTHER thread like this. :( I haven't bought it yet, but I have the money and I WANT IT NOW. :(!
I was informed by several people that a speed bump would probably not happen for at least 2 months, if not more, if at all. :\

And now you people drive me crazy by putting more doubt in my mind! AGH!
Just when I thought all I had to decide on was Mighty Mouse VS wireless mouse/keyboard!
hehe :D
 

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
2,537
0
England
Probably at the end of Sept:

17" iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo (Merom not Conroe)
X1600 Pro 128MB -> Pro 256MB upgrade

20" iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo (Again, Merom not Conroe)
X1600 XT 256MB
1GB RAM standard

I'm guessing it would be a speed bump instead of a feature bump.
 

arachn1d

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
67
0
seenew said:
Just when I got enough guts to decide to buy an iMac this week, you guys have to go and make ANOTHER thread like this. :( I haven't bought it yet, but I have the money and I WANT IT NOW. :(!
I was informed by several people that a speed bump would probably not happen for at least 2 months, if not more, if at all. :\

And now you people drive me crazy by putting more doubt in my mind! AGH!
Just when I thought all I had to decide on was Mighty Mouse VS wireless mouse/keyboard!
i'll buy it if you buy it.


:)

(and why's the debate over the mighty mouse vs wireless mouse/keyboard) I need info!
 

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
1,568
0
Brooklyn
arachn1d said:
i'll buy it if you buy it.


:)

(and why's the debate over the mighty mouse vs wireless mouse/keyboard) I need info!
I know, I'd feel better knowing someone else was taking the plunge with me, haha!

But yeah, the mice is just a personal debate. I love the thought of just a single wire connected to my iMac (the power), since it will have wireless internet, and could have wireless keyboard/mouse. I'm willing to spend the extra $70 for the wireless setup, but I also love the idea of a Mighty Mouse. I'll be working with high-res photos, and that scrollball would be a godsend. I wish there was a wireless Mighty Mouse! :(!
 

arachn1d

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
67
0
Hey, since we're both using this production purposes, I say WE get the mightymouse.

Haha, I'm thinking about plunging tomorrow after I wakeup. :eek:

Honestly, I've been thinking about it. If the iMac is as good as they say, even at it's point now. Then it's still going to be that good.

I don't think the updated processor is going to change how fast you can play with photos, or programming to such a marginal extent that it's worth waiting by the end of summer, and that's a guesstimate.

And besides, if it's not just benchmark claims and it's really uber awesome, we can upgrade the processor down the line with the money we've made from working on the computer!

Bam, did I convince us? haha.
 

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
1,568
0
Brooklyn
arachn1d said:
Hey, since we're both using this production purposes, I say WE get the mightymouse.

Haha, I'm thinking about plunging tomorrow after I wakeup. :eek:

Honestly, I've been thinking about it. If the iMac is as good as they say, even at it's point now. Then it's still going to be that good.

I don't think the updated processor is going to change how fast you can play with photos, or programming to such a marginal extent that it's worth waiting by the end of summer, and that's a guesstimate.

And besides, if it's not just benchmark claims and it's really uber awesome, we can upgrade the processor down the line with the money we've made from working on the computer!

Bam, did I convince us? haha.
hahaha
Yeah, actually I do feel better about it.
Hmm.
Waiting for my stocks to cash in, the check is on the way.
So I could be ordering it as soon as tomorrow, or Friday..
Yeah, what the heck. I'm doing it.