New iMac Soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wawanarchist, Oct 19, 2008.

1. wawanarchist macrumors regular

Hey,

its my first post here, because I've finally been convinced to get a mac... Being a PC guy all my life (and I still am to some extent) I have avoided macs. One day a few months ago my friend came across a Powerbook G4, but it was broken, he sold it to me for $100 and I quickly fixed it with a new HD. Now, I realized that my laptop is worth around $900. I decided to sell it on eBay last night to raise money to buy a new iMac. As I got ready to purchase my new gem I decided to do some research. I hear rumors about a new iMac being released soon, is there any strong evidence for this? I don't want to wait a month to get my iMac for nothing, but on the other hand I'd be pissed if I get one now and a new one comes out soon. Any thoughts?

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

First off I would like to congratulate you on choosing Mac.
    One you start to regularly use it more than your PC you will realize OS X is a far better and superior operating system than Windows (especially Vista).

Well we never know when exactly Apple upgrades a product.
    The only time we know before hand is when they give out event invitations.
    There's always they chance they will do a silent release and upgrade it over night without anybody knowing.

Recently though, there have been massive amounts of leaks that end up being true.
    Currently we are expecting the desktop line to be upgraded in November.
    There is one reason to doubt the iMac will get an upgrade though, on the MacRumors Buyer's Guide it says "Don't Buy - Updates soon" for all the desktops except for the iMac.
    But that too is also based off of rumors.

If I were you I would wait until the end of November.
    There may also be an iMac update for MacWorld 2009.
    We can at least hope for a spec bump.
    One thing you can do is continue to browse this forum and for a while and to watch for frequently flowing information, leaks, and rumors.

3. jTreu macrumors 6502

There will probably be updates by the end of the year, but I'm guessing there will be just spec bumps, nothing major.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

All depends on what Apple will decide, the new MacBooks switched from the Intel965GM chipset with the tradition North/South setup to a single chip Nvidia MCP97MX chipset.

Nvidia has a few incarnations of this with the mini ATX form, so Apple has the option of choosing either the all laptop part Intel or Nvidia or moving the iMac up another notch with a desktop CPU, GPU, and RAM.

Nobody knows right now, they could stay on track and run the iMac with laptop parts once again even with a Nvidia switch.

Though Apple likes to keep ATI so they may get the iMac and the Nvidia Integrated isn't used.

5. wawanarchist thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, sounds like a lot to consider, and I thought switching to mac would make things simpler than building a pc like i used to do... Well, looks like I will be waiting, the thing that really intrigues me is the better video card, as the 2600HD is lacking, in my opinion. What do you think the chances are between them releasing before xmas or waiting for the expo? You would think they would want to release during the big buying season. Oh well, I guess it's all speculation, I'll just have to wait and see, but its killing me knowing my dorm desk should be adorned by a new iMac rather than an old Powerbook.

6. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

At least wait until November.
    If does get updated then, then the chance of it being updated at MacWorld is unlikely.
    And if it isn't updated in November then there's a 90% chance is will be updated at MacWorld.

I'm sorry if it isn't updated in November and you have to wait for nothing.
    The fact of staying with Windows only is sad.
    Well at the moment my only computer is Vista and it's a poor excuse for an operating system and computer so I hope to be rid of it soon.
    But once you're done waiting and finally get an iMac you will realize that the wait was worth it.

8. wawanarchist thread starter macrumors regular

I guess its a good thing if it does get upgraded soon, since I'll be getting more for the same price, only problem is I wanted to buy a refurb, and I doubt that there will be any refurbed upgrades at the beginning. On top of that my Powerbook is probably going to sell for less than I expected, now I'm looking at around $650... I might need to save up more anyway.

Its not that bad waiting on vista, i dont mind the system at all, its actually been more stable for me than OSX, don't crucify me for saying that, its just what i've seen. But I do want that shiny new box on my desk now, it sucks thinking I'd be using it as soon as next monday, but now it might not be for months