New iMac storage options - how do you read it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theSeb, Oct 23, 2012.

1. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Configurable to 3TB hard drive, 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive, or 768GB of flash storage.

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

The way I see it, it comes standard with a 1 TB hard drive and then you can configure it to:

3 TB hard drive or
    1 TB fusion drive (128 GB flash cache) or
    3 TB fusion drive (128 GB flash cache, I think) or
    768 GB flash

I am looking at the "or" in particular. As far as I see it, I can't order a normal 3 TB hard drive and 768 GB flash? Or am I being thick?

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Unfortunately... I think you are correct. If the description is technically accurate... the "or" indicates they are mutually exclusive.

I would prefer to get either:
    a) 768GB SSD + 3 TB HDD
    b) 768GB SSD + 3 TB Fusion drive

If in fact you can get either of the above... that is what I will order. What I expect that I will use is a 768GB SSD + 8TB Pegasus R4 (configured as 4TB RAID 10).

I suspect that I will keep iTunes and iMovie media on the Pegasus. I'll keep everything else (including my Aperture library) on the SSD.

/Jim

3. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

So it seems that the leaked photo that has been circulating online was indeed that of the 21.5"

We can discern this by the fact that the 21.5" comes with 5400rpm hard drives. Also, that the 21.5" has less internal space. Therefore, it's safe to say that the disk used is 2.5" - which was seen in that leaked photo.

My question is, do we foresee a all flash 21.5" being available? It currently isn't listed. Hoping this changes, as I really would like to not be bumped into the $1799 27" tier to achieve all flash storage.

4. tann macrumors 68000

Wish it was just up to 768gb flash AND up to 3tb regular hdd lol. Would like to have a 256gb flash + 1/3tb regular and choose where stuff goes.

Don't know how I feel about 'fusion' and am scared to see the prices lol.

5. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Seagate's Momentus XT worked very well from a performance level. I doubt the Fusion Drive is controlled at the OS, but more via the disk firmware (just the OS now has hooks into this). That's what allowed the Momentus XT to work well regardless of OS.

The big difference is the Momentus XT only had 4/8GB of SLC SSD for cache, where the Fusion drive has a massive 128GB MLC SSD for cache.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Unlikely I'm afraid. Why wouldn't they have listed it now if it was? It's the one I would have gone for. Now I'm stuck between 21" with HDD or trying to find extra money for the 27" and the SSD. The refurb option is suddenly looking appealing.

7. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

You and I are in the same boat.

I just feel like a spinning disk has no business in any non tower style computer these days. Especially increasingly-more-difficult-to-open Apple computers.

8. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

doesn't seem like ssd + hdd will be an option anymore ...
    i am not quite sold on the fusion drives .. i am thinking i will
    get the SSD and use an external tb drive

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Couldn't agree more. Trouble with the HDD is its not a question of if it will fail but when. Basically I feel I'm being pushed to spend more money or buy older technology. If I do that I will defiantly want to sell before my AppleCare expires. In which case I upgrade sooner than planed and apple still get even more of my money.
    I suppose I could go down the external route once it fails but it's hardly going to be an all in one with the time machine, external ODD and then the external storage. And won't that be 3 of my 4 USB's gone. Add a USB hub for good measure and I've now got one cluttered desk for an all in one!

10. racher macrumors member

I'm also on the fence between the Fusion drive and the 768GB SSD drive. I want the option of speed and drive space together. If the Fusion drive is so fast (as the graph in Apple's keynote indicates), why do they also offer the SSD-only drive as an option? I hope we'll see some benchmarks of the Fusion drive in the 21" before the 27" is available (so I can better make my decision).

-racher

11. themcfly macrumors regular

From this image, you can see that flash storage is on-chip like in macbook airs, and as a matter of fact this actual configuration seems to show that HDD + Flash is indeed an option.

[​IMG]

Looking forward to see how Apple will handle BTO options on these...

12. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Hopefully there will be some affordable Thunderbolt options next year.

13. nickweb macrumors newbie

Just FYI - The Mac Mini is available now. This means you can see how much Fusion Drives are. For 128Gb + 1Tb it looks like £200 (UK).

14. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I hadn't downloaded the keynote podcast yet, but I was pretty certain that's what I had seen.

And even if it's NOT an option, someone will sell the HDD bracket, cables, and fusion drive itself.

15. mediacomposer macrumors newbie

mediacomposer

I'm ok with no SSD+HDD Combo BTO anymore... Most of my stuff is on externals now anyway...

16. timcullis macrumors member

To clarify... that's the upgrade cost over just the 1TB drive. And in the US it's $250. Not as bad as I had feared.

17. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I agree that it looks like 768GB SSD + 3TB HDD is technically feasible. I hope they offer it in a BTO option.

I already have the 8TB Pegasus R4... so that will certainly play into my storage hierarchy. Worse case... I'd use CCC to perform a 4am sync of my Pegasus data onto the internal HDD... just to be able to keep running in case of a Pegasus failure.

/Jim