New iMac Storage

Discussion in 'iMac' started by StuartAM, Sep 22, 2014.

1. StuartAM macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm new to Mac's to please forgive me but...

i recently got an iMac with a 515gb flash storage drive, unfortunately it started to fill up very quickly once i transferred my iTunes media off my PC onto it.

so i decided to get a 1Tb WD USB3 portable Hdd, managed to transfer my media across no problems but when ever i walk away from the computer and come back to it after a few hours it won't play any media from the hdd it seams so though its gone to sleep, and the only way to wake it up is to unplug the drive and plug it back it, if i forgot and try to play something it locks up iTunes.

any advice?

thanks

Stu

2. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

I cant really help you out but i also have a brand new iMac with the SSD option and i grabbed a WD External HD and i keep all my videos, music, photos on it.

I just opened up itunes and clicked a file and other then the beachball spinning for about a second, It played. It almost seems like the drive does sleep after awhile but when i click on a file that is stored on the drive ( like say a music file in iTunes ) it will take a second to wake it up and play it.

So i am not sure why your external is doing that.

Which external ( model ) do you have exactly? I know a few actually had issues with macs when going to sleep.

I have a WD My Passport AIR for mac, Uses USB3 and no external power.

3. R2D2WD macrumors newbie

R2D2WD

Hi, Stu

Could you please tell me your model number so I can be more specific. In general it is normal that your external sleeps, but all your media should be playable after that. Are your tracks playable after reconnecting the device?

About the sleep, can you check if you can set some energy saving options? Download the latest firmware update from the WD web page.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449 - check this article to confirm these steps when moving your iTunes folder
    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en – WD downloads section

Hope this helps

4. StuartAM thread starter macrumors newbie

some more updates :)

I've updated the FW on the drive, checked that all the sleep settings have been disabled.

the PN is: WDBZFP0010BWT-04

Just waiting for the mac to sleep and then i'll see if thats made a difference.

thanks for the help :)

stu

5. StuartAM thread starter macrumors newbie