New iMac Time Machine backup solution

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Thunderbird8, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Thunderbird8 macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

My Western Digital 'MyBook' 1TB external FireWire hard drive is approaching retirement, after 6 years service.

I'm looking at a new time machine backup solution for my iMac. I've got a 1TB hard drive.

I'm in the UK.

Recommendations gratefully received.

2. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I've just got a 3tb Seagate from PC World - it was £90 for the Windows version that I then low level formatted for Mac, thus saving about £30 in buying the 'Mac specific' model. Seems to be running well. My 1tb 'MyBook' just died after 6 years. Well, not quite true, something went wrong with the power supply, I was able to extract the drive and put into a new chassis and it's working fine.

3. Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

I was thinking about a wireless one, but maybe one where you could connect it with a wire to do the initial large backup.

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Wireless backup, I use a 3TB time capsule and that serves the other Macs in the house as well.

5. Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

I was thinking of that option actually. I like the idea of wireless backup of everything.

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If that's the case why not simply get a Time Capsule, they're really the only reliable method to do TM via Wi-Fi. There are some pretty good deals in Apple's online refurbished store right now.

7. shaunp macrumors 65816

Get a decent NAS (Synology, QNAP, etc) that has a time-machine capability. It's a bit more expensive than a time capsule but it has the advantage of being able to have more than one disk - i.e. some redundancy. It can also be attached via ethernet so you should be able to backup at around 80MB/s for the first backup. And you can also have more than 3TB if you want to.

8. Nalmond92 macrumors regular

Mycloud

I got a 2TB western digital 'MyCloud'. It's a NAS so all wireless, just plug it into your router.
    Time machine out of the box
    Can access all the files and add files from other computers to it wirelessly while on another network.
    iTunes server functionality - not really sure what that entails.
    Has USB 2 port so you can add another external harddrive.

I really recommend it if you have a fast internet connection. It's what I want apples time capsule to be able to do.