New IMac & Time Machine

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yankeejim, Jan 9, 2015.

1. yankeejim macrumors newbie

I recently replaced my IMac with a new IMac. When trying to restore photos from IPhoto I cannot go beyond the first day of my new IMac began operating. Time machine does have past files from IPhoto but I cannot access them. Please advise

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Could you possibly try using Migration Assistant instead, and connect directly to the old Mac? (via ethernet)

3. yankeejim thread starter macrumors newbie

4. dyt1983, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

5. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Try going through the backups.backupsdb folder structure in the Time Machine Drive.

I forgot exactly where the files are, but they are in there, and you can import them into iPhoto.

Try ~/Library/iPhoto branch.

6. yankeejim thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have mentioned that I am using a external hard drive as my time machine backup - when I look at contents it shows the date area that I want but cannot open

7. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I think you have to be the root user on the computer to look at them. There are files in the date folders. I'm at work, so I can't check for you, and it's my anniversary, so it may be tomorrow (Pacific Time) before I can get back to you on this.

8. dyt1983, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

9. yankeejim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you JeffythQuik - would appreciate any help. When I click on icon for external, I can see the dates I want to restore but unable to do it that way. When I go through the proper restore it only takes me back to the date the new IMac began in Dec 2014. Nothing before that. BTW Happy Anniversary