New iMac, to wait or not?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Techguy172, Oct 23, 2011.

  1. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    #1
    Hi guys,

    It's been a while since I've been on these forums but I'm looking at a new mac, it's a been a while, I'm still using my old 2007 MacBook and it's getting slow. So I've been putting away money for a while now and have enough for a new iMac, I'm looking at the high-end 27" model. So my question is, should I wait a few more months for the updated one and what kind of improvements or changes are we looking at in the new iMac? I'm not right into the hardware like I used to be so I don't want to buy one now and then have a big update in a few months.

    Thanks
     
  2. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2010
    #2
    Hey i just bought 27" iMAC i5, and i am still consfuse about it. i have 14 days return policy. see if some one gives some update , that would be gr8.
     
  3. daftpunkstu macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2011
    Location:
    Edinburgh
    #3
    if you can wait then wait [​IMG] if not then dont. it's as simple as that. most revisions might be minor hardware revisions. for most people, the current imacs will run superbly for them without limits and so there's no point waiting for the new one
     
  4. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 5, 2011
    Location:
    Florida
    #4
    Doubt it. Intel haven't released updates to their sandy bridge desktop, which means probably nothig till Ivy.
    Since they run on mobile graphics chipsets, no 7xxx until desktop 7s come out (most likely). I'd say nothing until at least march-april-may next year.
     
  5. mercurycn macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2010
    #5
    I have the same question too.
    Wait or Buy. : )
     
  6. bushman4 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    #6
    No guarantee that the next update will be a major one. It might just be a refresh as we are seeing with the Mac Book Pro. Unless you want bragging rights to having the latest and greatest there's really no sense in waiting UNLESS you really have another MAC or PC that will hold you and you really want to wait & see.
     
  7. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2007
    #7
    Haha, I'm actually in the same position, but I'm looking at a 21" 2.8 i7. I think I can afford one soon, so I'm a little split on whether I should wait or not. But if the timetables are so far off like you said for the new hardware, I think I'll opt for sooner rather than later...
     
  8. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

    tom vilsack

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Location:
    ladner cdn
    #8
    -what version of osx? clean install?
    -how much ram do you have? 2007 can run either 3,4 gigs max
    -original harddrive 5400rpm? 7200rpm could also really help

    both ram and harddrives are easy to replace on macbooks...also installing fresh osx snowleopard (or lion,but likes more ram) and your macbook should be zippy as new...and the cost will be $120-150.
     
  9. Travis Bickle macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    #9
    I'd wait.

    I was thinking the same, intending to buy an iMac so that i could double it as a windoze machine and play a few games but didn't like the idea of buying mid-cycle as a few short months from now there could be an incremental upgrade that sees a slightly better gfx card,and perhaps an upgraded cpu.

    I've opted instead to buy a base i5 mac mini, initially it was as a short term plan until the new iMacs come out, the MM would then move to the TV and be a glorified media player and the new iMac would take pride of place on this here desk but having used the MM now, i'm more than impressed by its performance.It handles photoshop wonderfully, even dealing with basic 3D work with no real slow down.

    Come the next update which as someone mentioned may not be until April 2012 i shall check out what benefits there may be and shall decide then what i'm doing.

    Good luck, whatever you decide will be the right option for you.
     
  10. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

    jmpnop

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2010
    #10
    There's nothing by the name Windoze;)


    To the OP: Macrumors Buyer's guide says iMac is approaching end of cycle. But I don't think you'll see new iMacs anytime soon since Intel Ivy Bridge processors are delayed. I think the new update will be a significant one, if you don't need one now, its worth waiting.
     
  11. iMikeT macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #11
    At this point, buy if you can, wait if you can. The next iMac revision will probably be in the April-June 2012 timeframe at the earliest. Of course, this is mainly dependent on Intel releasing Ivy Bridge.

    With that said, I have a BTO 27" 2011 iMac with 3.4GHz quad-core Core i7, 2GB AMD Radeon 6970M GPU, 16GB RAM, and 1TB HD running 10.7.2 Lion. This is the finest computer I have ever owned.
     
  12. N0ddie macrumors 6502

    N0ddie

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2011
    Location:
    Glasgow
    #12
    And really, that computer is really gonna last for a good number of years with those specs.
     
  13. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2010
    #13
    If speed is what you need on your MacBook, max out the RAM, and instal a hybrid drive.

    Then wait for the next iMac rev; it always feels good to buy right at the beginning of the product cycle!
     
  14. leman macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #14
    I don't believe that there will be a new iMac soon. There is simply nothing it could be updated with — no new interesting CPUs or GPUs. A minor revision is possible, maybe increasing the default RAM size. The next big update would be Ivy Bridge.
     
  15. Red Dmitry macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2011
    #15
    I just bought my low-end iMac 2011. And I'm waiting for delivery, what I've seen in Intel reports Ivy will be 20% faster than sandy, so I don't want to wait half a year for just 20% performance. Mid 2011 very good Mac and it's a lot faster than 2010 model (60-70%), so it's decent upgrade for your money spent, 2012 won't have so many new features IMHO, and we still don't know release date.
     
  16. Logos327 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #16
    Since when are IB processors delayed? MR just had a story how they have gone into mass production on schedule for a Q2 release.

    I say wait if you can. It wouldn't be surprising if the next iMacs feature a new design (certainly not guaranteed but possible). Even if they don't, they should include USB 3.0 (and if you want your iMac to be compatible with devices in 4-5 years time, this may be important), SATA 3 SSDs, and of course newer GPUs. On top of that, maybe we will see the return of the 24" so if you are interested in that size over the 27" it might be best to wait.

    When it comes to buying a computer today, I think it is foolish not to have USB 3.0 and an SSD. Right now, iMacs lack the first and are using 2-year-old technology when it comes to the second. March-June is not that far away.
     
  17. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

    thrill5one6

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
  18. leman macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #18
    Intel's official release is still 2012 last time I checked.
     
  19. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    #19
    I have 4GB of ram, running Lion with a clean install and 500GB 7200 RPM hard drive, wanted SSD but need the space.
     
  20. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2010
    #20
    Even i thought so, i bought 27" imac i5, works gr8, looks gr8, feels gr8..But once i put it on my desk in my office, its kinda BIG. i might go for 21.5 or may be wait couple more months and see if new relese has 24".
     
  21. Logos327 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #21
  22. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2010
    #22
    No SSD??? bah
     
  23. Wreckie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 9, 2011
    #23
    /Only reason to wait would be IB lower energy consumption, as energy prices rise year by year. Thats my opinion.
    Cannot agree with that. Thunderbolt>USB 3. In big way.. Also, SSD is in option, so choosing it isn't limited. And not to be mentioned that, most PCs still use HDD, some do use HDD + SSD combo, but the SSD in that is usually small one, for instance, 64GB, 128GB.
     
  24. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

    boy-better-know

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2010
    Location:
    England
    #24
     
  25. iMikeT macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #25

    That's what I'm hoping for. If I really need to upgrade, I'll just get a Mac Pro and use the iMac as a display.



    With 128GB SSDs going for around $200 aftermarket, I think a 1TB HDD is good enough for now. I'll wait for SSDs to have a better price per gigabyte ratio and believe me, I'll be one of the first in line when 128GB SSDs are going for $50.
     

Share This Page