New iMac today but already need RAM Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eternalvictor, Feb 23, 2012.

1. eternalvictor macrumors newbie

Feb 19, 2012
    I got my new iMac today and am so far very impressed seeing as it is an upgrade from my 2006 iMac. I just have one question regarding the RAM though as I ordered the base model with 4gb RAM thinking this would do me for now and if I needed to I could always upgrade cheaply enough. I have run the activity monitor the following figures are what I have had since turning it on this afternoon:

VM Size - 204.44 GB
    Page Ins - 5.42 GB
    Page Outs - 2.5 MB
    Swap Used - 38.7 MB.

Should this give me cause for concern or should I try resetting the Mac and see if it gets better results when I'm not downloading and installing programmes to get it how I want?

Or should I just get another 8 GB RAM from Crucial just to be safe against future usage?
  2. class77 macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2010
    Yea, get 8 more for 12. That should give you oodles
  3. halledise macrumors 65816

May 7, 2009
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    depends on what Apps you're intending to run.

an additional 4 gb should be enough unless you have $ to burn.
  4. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Jan 7, 2012
    Location Location
    There's no cause for concern there at all. Like. Really, none at all. Page Outs are what you want to keep an eye on - and you have practically none of those.
  5. johannnn macrumors 65816

Nov 20, 2009
    If you have more page outs than page in you can buy some more. You have more than thousand times more page ins...
  6. yashi macrumors member

Oct 13, 2011
    I'd almost always drop the $40 to triple your memory to 12 GB. It's just too cheap of an upgrade not to.
  7. camardelle macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2011
    I upgraded my ram in my mbp to 8 and took the ram from the mbp and put it in the imac increasing it to 8. It's better, but I'm thinking an increase to 12 for $45 or so bucks is well spent.

Am I off the mark. I use my imac for pleasure, not business although I occasionally use imovie for video. I'm not unhappy...but for $45 bucks right?
  8. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2010
    RAM is low cost these days. With this in mind, I'd upgrade to 12 GBs. re: Installing 2 x 4s GB simms from OWC (or some other place). For the average home user with low memory demands, 8 GBs (4 original + 4 new) is enough. But if doing heavy memory usage in the future, get 2 x 4s now. Thus, having more memory in the future.

9. eternalvictor thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 19, 2012
    Well I have found the 8gb memory on Crucial for £36 so think it's worth that minimal investment just to make sure I am covered for whatever I want to use the iMac for in future.
    Was a little annoyed that the Photoshop and Office I had on the old iMac could not be transferred as they were Power PC or something so have had to order new versions of those but other than that I am very impressed with the new iMac at the moment.