New imac today...... no leopard!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jrichie, Oct 25, 2007.

1. jrichie macrumors regular

Got my new iMac today [26th oct - in New Zealand] and no leopard pre-installed!!!!

I have to order it now as an extra [on discount] but I was hoping it would be on .

Anyone else had this????

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Leopard has not been released yet. Were you expecting otherwise?

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Yeah...you definitely have to order it starting the 26th. And even then a lot of them will have Leopard dropped in and not pre installed.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think since he is in New Zealand and they are a bit ahead of us in time it is the 26th there, and Leopard has been released.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No... Apple doesn't say it'll be released on October 26th, but rather on the October 26th at 8:00 PM California time.

Leopard has not been released yet!

6. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I think only orders placed after the actual release date/time can be assured of having Leopard included (not even installed necessarily). And if you look at the up to date program details you could technically get a mac past the release date to the end of the month, not receive Leopard and have to pay for the DVD to be shipped to you for $10. Online mac orders should include Leopard after release. I wouldn't be surprised if no orders placed before Leopard release had Leopard DVD included let alone installed.

I don't know the details of how Apple manufactures macs. I assume they have a certain number of assembled units that they can customize before shipping. How many days worth of inventory do they have stockpiled? I don't know but it isn't nearly the amount they used to have in the 90s. Have they started to assemble new units with Leopard once it went gold and Tiger units need to just clear the system? I don't think so. They probably haven't started installing Leopard yet and probably won't until after release. Just my guess though.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

According to what is on the front page here at macrumors it is local time, do you have a link from apple that says it is at pacific time?

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Sure... http://www.apple.com

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Change your clock on your computer to a different time zone, and that clock will change, I tested it to make sure and my computer is now set to the time in New Zealand and it is only an hour and a half until Leopard is released.. His iMac should have come with a drop if he got it in a store, if he got it online then he should not have expected it.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

My clock says over 19 hours. October 26th is not 19 hours away from me.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

What time zone are you in? it is counting down to 6 PM when you can walk into a store and buy it you should get the drop in DVD with a new mac anytime the 26th though.

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Oh I see what you're saying now. I am in American CST. But either way, it's not 6 PM in New Zealand is it? I don't think they would give people who buy new Macs a copy of Leopard.

I think Apple is very specific about their timing.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Apple has said or at least it was on the front page here that anytime you buy a new mac on the 26th you will get the drop in DVD any time even if it is before 6 PM. and not it is still a little over an hour until 6 PM in New Zealand.

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well then the store should still be open - he should return and inquire, or call...