New iMac today, possible shared usage of external hard drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eternalvictor, Feb 23, 2012.

1. eternalvictor macrumors newbie

I am due to get my new iMac delivered today and just wondered if anyone could answer a question for me. My old iMac is a 2006 iMac that had 160gb storage. Therefore I purchase an external hard drive for it a while ago and I just wondered if there is a possibility of networking my new and old iMac so I can put the external hard drive on one of the iMacs and access the data on there from my other iMac?

2. eternalvictor thread starter macrumors newbie

I will most likely be attaching the external hard drive to the new imac but I just wondered if I would be likely to share the hard drive once its on the new iMac to my old iMac as I have all my iTunes music and videos on the external hard drive so if I could access all of these from the hard drive on the new iMac then I would be able to save some of the measly 160gb hard drive on the old iMac for something other than music, videos and photo's.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can share any drive on your network so other computers can access it.

Mac 101: File Sharing

4. camardelle macrumors 6502

I attached mine to my wirless router and everyone can use it. Just a thought.

5. eternalvictor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. Will see if I can attach my external hard drive to my wireless router and if not I'll follow the file sharing route. Only slight issue I have is that my internet in my area is pretty much non existent, I'm lucky if I get 256kb/s internet!, so I tend to use my iPhone for my internet usage as I have unlimited data and therefore the wifi is not normally turned on for the iMac so I have a feeling this may affect my networking choice, unless I go for the ethernet routing way.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

An internet connection isn't required to establish a local wireless network, so you can share files, printers, drives, etc. between computers on your network.

7. eternalvictor thread starter macrumors newbie

Then I may have a stupid question, but is there anyway to have my wifi active for the connection between my two iMacs but, as I connect from my iPhone for the internet through the bluetooth connection, can I have wifi active and specify that my internet use if governed through the bluetooth connection?

I have an airport express setup in my kitchen and obviously the wifi has to be active on the iMac for me to access the music on it, but this then means that when I want to use the internet I have to disable the wifi on the iMac and connect to my iPhone through bluetooth so I can use reasonably fast internet. Is there a way to work around this or am I just going to have to keep switching and hope that one day I might be able to reach the dizzy heights of broadband that goes into the mB/s range?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have to keep switching, as you can't join two networks simultaneously. Once you get accustomed to broadband, nothing else is tolerable!

9. eternalvictor thread starter macrumors newbie

I totally agree. Bought my house in April last year and went from being able to get about 10mb/s broadband to near dial up speeds. Suffice to say it did not even enter my thinking when buying the house to check what the internet was like. Guess I'll just have to keep switching between wifi and bluetooth then for my internet and networking needs.

10. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Do you know for a fact that your ISP speed is less then 10Mb/s or are you going by the speed you see from your WiFi? If the later then you might have a signal degrade problem in your house. In my house I need to extend my network so that I can get a good WiFi signal up stairs.