New iMac, two old MacBooks, migration assistant and setup?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FrancoRumors, Oct 16, 2011.

1. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

My wife and I have always used our own portables, we just purchased 27 inch iMac that we would like to share. Can I use migration assistant to transfer my data to the new iMac and then log off, sign in on her account on iMac and transfer her data onto her account? Will this method keep our iPhoto data separate? Is there a way to combine our iTunes easily? We were using home sharing previously. Any other tips would be appreciated in reference to transfer speeds (Ethernet vs Firewire) or any other important details. Thanks so much.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Migration assistant will not merge users. It will only create new user accounts. If either of the machines has a user account that's not necessary, with unnecessary info, then it would be simpler to delete the user.

It's not straight-forward to merge iTunes libraries. That will probably be easiest through iTunes Home Sharing.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

My recommendation would be to run Migration Assistant on the two MacBooks so their data is merged. Then run Setup assistant when the new iMac arrives and connect it to the MacBook that has the two accounts merged. This will be easiest and cleanest method of migrating.