Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pontypine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Hello

I've recently brought a 17" iMac (Core 2 Duo, upped to 3Gb RAM) and have so far been really impressed with it.

I have, however, come across a problem that I just can't seem to find a work around for. Basically, certain graphics through web browsers (Firefox and Safari) appear very pixelated or grainy. One glaring one is the main Google icon at the top of their search screen, which has a nasty gray box behind it (that stands out against an otherwise white background).

When I view pictures through iPhoto (from my camera) they look great, so I am leaning to a browser issue, but can't find mention of the issue on any threads. My display resolution is at maximum, and the colour is set to millions. I've since noticed that pictures (both gif and jpeg) on a friends personal site also look bad, especially blacks, which pixelate quite a bit.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. I'm trying to convince the wife that Mac's are the way forward, and need to get to the bottom of this one.

Cheers

Neil

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I'm not sure I've ever seen what you're describing so something probably isn't right. What versions of firefox and safari are you using?

Also, can you post a screenshot? (may help)

Pontypine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
hi iBlue

I'm at work at the minute, but I've found an example from the net. The gray rectangle I see covers the whole of the Google icon though, not just the 'Goo':

google_gray_rectangle.jpg

I'm using Firefox 2 (pretty much fully up-to-date) and whatever Safari was pre-installed.

Thanks for the interest.

Pontypine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Hi there

Here's a screenshot of the problem I'm having:

picture_1.png

I've tried this with the latest version of Firefox, Safari and Opera and the result is exactly the same. All other images on the Mac itself are fine.

I really don't know what's causing this, so any ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
That is so bizarre. I can't think of what would be causing that and I'm hoping someone here can. It's certainly not normal.
I can only think of a few "can't hurt to try" things which may not be a solution but in the off case that they are could be worthwhile.
Reset your cache on all browsers.
restart computer.

hell, maybe even repair permissions. - Applications > utilities > disk utility - select your disk and repair.

Has anything been messed with (perhaps even by accident) in the Universal Access? I'll attach a screenshot of what it should look like.
Also check what color profile you are using in displays. System Preferences > displays > color. Should be LCD (calibrated for best results)

Just a few things to try. I'm pretty baffled as to what this is.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 65
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.