New iMac user, some questions please help.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Braduk, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Braduk macrumors newbie

Hi guys, ok finally moved my iMac to my main position on my desk so now using it daily, just a few questions.

1. How do I delete history and past website views and search history.

2. I use Thunderbird for my email but the actual window is a bit small text wise, you know the window that shows subject, from, date and time etc. Anyway I can make this bigger to read? I don't mean dragging bottom right corner.

3. Whats this keychain thing I get, seems a pain asking for passwords etc. Is it worth using or disabling.

4. Can I force any links i click on in a webpage to open as a new tab in safari and not new page entirely.

5. Any new apps or software come out that Id find useful for work or personal use.

6. How does the power button work at the back, 1 quick click puts it to sleep mode yes? 1 long hold switches it off yes?

7. Anyway I can get my sky tv on the apple displays? To save me having a spare small tv in corner of room?

8. Which is easiest way to organise photos etc, use what iMac came with or a 3rd party programme. To make it easy to see folders for various photo trips, parties, etc.

9. Same question as above but for folders for documents like work, websites, accounts etc.

10. Any tips or tricks?

11. How can I create a favourites list in safari like I used to have in internet explorer, a vertical list down the left side of just the links, no webpage preview?

12. I have a 2 screen iMac set up and i have windows and stuff like man, Skype, browsers, email set out ok, when i sleep mode or shut down can i make it so they stay in same position when i switch back on the iMac cheers?

13. It seems to take some getting used to using a 27 inch iMac screen going from my 21 inch pc screen, is this normal, text is smaller as theres more real estate I presume, so find myself having to concentrate more to read text on websites and apps like Skype, man messenger etc, not from bad eyesight as I wear contacts so have good vision. I have it set to 2560 x 1440 resolution.

My screen res on this 27 inch imac is 2560 x 1440 and its taking some getting used to it as font and text size is smaller on everything, have to strain to see sometimes, any ideas.Especially the thunderbird email and iMac mail applications.

I can zoom in on a website that works ok but i have to do this for each site or tab, can i not set this to standard for all web browsing on safari.

Thanks guys.

2. All Taken macrumors 6502a

1. History> Clear History (Safari menu bar.
    2. Don't know.
    3. Keychain stores your password data, it's very useful.
    4. Right click> Open in new tab.
    5. App store> Top apps free and paid.
    6. Yes and Yes.
    7. If you have a 27" iMac you can use a HDMI to Mini display port adaptor £10/$20 ish.
    8. For everyday organisation I like iPhoto, simple and does it well.
    9. Individual folders for each category, Docs, Downloads etc and Bookmark Bar in safari for site.
    10. MacRumors forums are your playground for this.
    11. Bookmarks again, many options, Top sites perhaps.
    12. You can move your menu bar across to the other screen which might help here.
    13. Agreed, it passes.

3. davids8477 macrumors 6502

"4. Can I force any links i click on in a webpage to open as a new tab in safari and not new page entirely."

Look in Safari Preferences/Tabs

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"1. How do I delete history and past website views and search history."

Use "Reset Safari" in the "Safari" menu.

Check off the options you want, then click the "reset" button.

CAREFUL:
    If you choose to remove all cookies, you may be removing some that you would want to keep. I leave this unchecked (and I use the "Safari Cookies" extension to manage cookies)

If you choose to remove all saved names and passwords, you may be removing some that you would wish to keep, as well.

Another option:
    You can activate "Private Browsing" (also in the "Safari" menu), and a history of where you visit will not be established)

"3. Whats this keychain thing I get, seems a pain asking for passwords etc. Is it worth using or disabling."

Keychain is Apple's tool that stores and maintains your passwords. You can view them all by using the "Keychain Access" utility, in the "Utilities" folder.

"4. Can I force any links i click on in a webpage to open as a new tab in safari and not new page entirely."

To steal a line from Star Wars, "learn the power of the right click". Right-click on a link you want to open in a new tab, and the option to do so is "right there" in the contextual menu that appears. Also, you can open into a new page if you wish. Just my own preference, but I -never- use tabs, and -always- choose to open to a new page.

"6. How does the power button work at the back, 1 quick click puts it to sleep mode yes?"

Does your keyboard have an "eject" button for the DVD/CD drive? (It should be on the upper right somewhere)
    If it does, try holding down the control key, and then touch the eject key. You should get a menu offering shutdown, restart, and sleep. For sleep, hit "s". For restart, hit "r". For shutdown, just hit the return key. Saves you from reaching around the back...

5. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Much easier tactic to save reaching around the back is to click the apple icon in the top left hand corner of the screen. At the bottom of the menu the options for Sleep, Restart, Shut Down and Log Out are located. No fumbling with shortcut keys or reaching required.

To answer a few of the original questions as well.

3) Keychain is a built in feature that saves your passwords for sites, wireless connections, programs, everything basically. You can view all your saved passwords in the Keychain Access located in your utilities folder.

4) Safari->Preferences-> Tabs. There should be a dropdown menu at the top that says “Open Pages in tabs instead of Windows” Set that to automatically. Now any time a page is directed to open in a new window it will open in a new tab instead. There is also a useful checkbox for holding command and clicking in order to create a new tab. Great for multi-tasking.