New iMac user with questions about migrated data

Discussion in 'iMac' started by on_board, Oct 11, 2015.

1. on_board macrumors newbie

So I migrated to a great new 5k 27" iMac a couple of months ago and have carefully been reconstructing what was my desktop life using a Windows PC. I have been checking to make sure I had all my data, and have been working at migrating my applications, or finding new substitutes for what I need to do.

One thing I have not noticed until now is that when I view any files properties, it shows all my files as having been "created" on the date that I migrated to this computer. In other words, when I transferred files from the Windows hard drive to the Mac hard drive. They do show a "modified" date that is correct. I would like to retain the original created date for photos, documents, and other files for many reasons. I still have my old hard drives. Is there anything I can do in such a Windows to iMac file migration to retain the original date and time stamp for files, particularly image files, documents, and any and all others?

Thanks!

2. Sciuriware macrumors regular

Sciuriware

As OSX is in fact UNIX++ you should take the modified-date for created.
    The so called creation time is in fact the Change time.
    When ever something happens to a file (change access, rename) the C-time is updated.
    ;JOOP!