New iMac user yellow tint question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iwb100, Jul 18, 2012.

1. iwb100 macrumors newbie

I know there are several posts re this on the forum, but I can't find an answer to this.

I just bought a 2011 21.5" iMac.

Its fantastic. But after a few days of using it I've noticed that the bottom of the screen has a very slight yellow tint. Can notice it if I move a safari window around the screen.

My question is, does it get worse? I can live with it as it is, but if it is likely to gradually get worse then is it worth swapping? I've looked at a few models in a shop and some seem to have worse screen defects than this, whereas others seem fine. So just wondering how stable the screen is likely to be from now?

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I would take it to a window tinting shop and get them to put a different tint on the screen, if the yellow does not do it for you. Get some sub-woofers as well.

Yo dawg, I am pimpin' your iMac!

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Wow. Between this and the Bob Hope response in a different thread I think the wait for 2012's is making us punchy.

Usually the yellow tint on new computers is glue that didn't dry properly, and will clear up after a couple weeks of use. If it doesn't clear up, bring it back under warranty for a replacement.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've only heard of this before on the 27" models, of which I've got one of the first (late 2009). It's never bothered me but it is present and affected probably every unit to some degree. Apparently it has to do with the LED backlighting and possibly with heat. Maybe the finicky and vocal people were buying the 27's and not the 21's?

In any case, it has not gotten better or worse over they years, so if you can live with it now, it will be fine in the future.

I believe the yellow glue problem was with iOS devices, not iMacs.

5. iwb100 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've read about the yellow defect on earlier models so I suspect it's not just glue drying. Apple suggest taking it in for a swap which is a pain but I guess might be needed.

6. TurnTronics macrumors member

I do recall reading about the yellow "tint" issue when the 27" iMacs were first released. If it does not go away, take it to the Genius Bar and they should replace it under warranty. Could just be a bad display panel.

7. iwb100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Took it back to the apple store last night and swapped it out for a new one. Whilst there I examined their imacs set up for instore demo. 3 out of 4 21.5" 2011 iMacs suffered with noticeable yellowing on the bottom (right) of the screen, to differing degrees. One was horrid. In the bright lights of the store the casual buyer may not really notice but you could see the yellowing clearly if you looked. Used the test screen with grey bars and this one was horrid. The rest were ok with test screens but clearly had yellowing except 1 of the 21.5" ones.

Of the 4 27" set up, 1 couldn't be tested as the trackpad was not working. The other 3 all had some signs of yellowing at the bottom right of the screen.

Not a good sign.

They brought out my new iMac for me to test. It was better than my first one, but far from perfect. The "genius" said the yellowing is just "glue drying" and it will go clear and that at this store nobody has ever returned an iMac because of a yellow screen, which I simply don't think is the case. I pointed out to him that their demo iMacs (which presumably have been running for a considerable number of weeks and months) all exhibited it, and showed him them. At this point, they brought another more senior person out, who basically agreed with me, but said that most users don't notice and those that do, don't care. He said that the 2009/10 iMacs had more noticeable yellowing, that has been reduced for the 2011 range but not completely gone.
    He suggested that because the iMacs from each batch are similar it was likely that even if I kept trying iMacs that they would all have slight screen uniformity issues.

I tried one last one, from the store and yellowing still present but on initial store inspection it was marginally better. At this point seeing as the staff were probably sick of me, I decided to suck it up and take it.

Took it home, and its better than the original one I had. At least at the moment. I hope it doesn't get worse, though most people seem to say they don't get better or worse.

Its definitely a great machine, with a lovely screen, just ever so slightly spoiled by this issue.

Am now just going to enjoy using it and forget about the yellow, which is barely noticeable. I have applecare in case I need to get it repaired at a later date.....fingers crossed I don't.

8. Ctrl2k macrumors member

9. kellte2 macrumors regular

Noticed some slight yellowing on a test pattern, meaning I was LOOKING for a flaw. Non-issue to me these IPS panels are a crapshoot. In normal use the screen is great.

10. Gelite55 macrumors regular