New Imac vs Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bri1212, Feb 1, 2008.

1. bri1212 macrumors 6502

I need to buy a new computer at work.
    At work I use the computer for Photography, arts, and Graphics, for Ads etc..
    I will be using Adobe CS3. I need to know if I will be unhappy with
    the iMac to run CS3, does anyone have any feed back running this, or should I not think about it and get the mac pro.
    Money isn't the issue, but I do not want to sacrifice
    my time and patience, even if it will save several hundred dollars
    right now, I am running the original CS on a G5, slow but workable.

2. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

It's slow on your G5 because CS is not a Universal Binary app. I and most everyone here will say it'll be just fine; but treat yourself to a stop at a local Apple Store and see it in person. You can then compare between the two. Heck, you probably could bring in a PS doc on disk and test how fast one of your large projects opens and handles edits on either configuration. Then you'll definitely be getting what you expect.

3. smogsy macrumors 6502a

my mac book struggles on CS3 at times with 1650x1050 resolution but has 5400RPM drive which can make big difference,
    Max ram you can afford is all i'm going to suggest

i suggest you go to apple store and create what you normally do at work on the IMac then on the Mac pro, decide then, if a apple guy comes up to just say you you will be using photo shop and need to tell the difference on productivity when i was there he helped me by click render button on mac pro while i did it on imac quite a bit away. to measure the speed of rendering a vector i created which i sent to my gmail :p