New iMac vs New MBP for Photoshop

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sfwalter, Jan 1, 2014.

1. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Greetings and Happy New Year!

Its a new year and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new machine however I keep going back and forth on which machine. I will be mainly using the machine for Lightroom + Photoshop CC for editing and retouching.

I am looking at either an i7 iMac or MBP with the discrete graphics card. I'm wondering if the new iMac will significantly outshine the new MBP or will the performance differences between the two be small?

So I'm in a quandary on which way to go. I really don't need to be mobile but it would be nice once in a while. Every couple years I take a 2 week roadtrip in which I bring a laptop to back up my images. So if I went with the iMac I may need to figure out on how I would backup my images on the field. I already have a 27" external monitor so If I went with the MBP its not like I would be editing on a 15" monitor.

I usually upgrade every 3 years or so if that helps. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Bear macrumors G3

You don't need an i7 for Photoshop and Lightroom.

Have you thought about an iMac for normal use (you could attach the 27" display you have and have a nice dual screen setup) and then get a MacBook Air with a large enough SSD a month or so before your next trip? I suggest a month so you have time to set it up and make sure it is working properly.

3. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Back up your photo images is simple.....purchase some extra memory sticks for you camera. Just store the cards until your return. Even your laptop could go bad which your pictures on it. The memory sticks are just as safe and any method. Plus your vacation will not be hampered by dragging around a computer for some one to steal. Yep I would trust the extra memory sticks. And enjoy the vacation.

Just another option, life is full of options. Some are workable and others are a pain in the butt. Like dragging around a laptop just for storage.

4. sfwalter thread starter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Good point on the laptop. No need to have a laptop just as a two week trip as the deciding factor.

5. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

OK........you will have less to worry about. Just don't get your memory sticks next to magic forces.