New iMac - Wait or buy one now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac2004, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

I need to get a new iMac as mine is getting old. Should I hold off and wait for a new 27 inch one to be introduced or just buy the one that's currently available with the new Haswell processor.

Also, is Best Buy a god place to buy iMacs??

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

buy if yours is unusable and you have no temporary replacement computer

otherwise i would wait

3. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

why would you wait for a new one? Can you wait till next October. The last iMac came out in October or late September. I forget I bought it the day it came out. No way will they update it any time soon.

If you click the buyers guide next to the forum button on this site it's pretty helpful.

I love the new iMac. Wish it had a retina screen but if the next one does hate one it will prob be like 300-500 buck more which I wouldn't spend.

4. Spinnetti macrumors regular

I'm kinda in the same boat.. My machine runs perfect for all but high end games.. If I could just replace the video card with a more recent 2gig card I'd still be happy.... The latest iMacs just seem... ho-hum though.... Was hoping for a bigger update - little bigger screen, 4k, something dramatic.... can't spend another $2500 just for what amounts to a video card upgrade and a loss of a DVD drive....

I wonder if the NMP will work well under bootcamp for gaming? Seems like Mac video drivers are "one and done" and don't get the kind of improvements you see on the PC side...

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

There are people holding out for an iMac with Retina/4K display. Unless you're among them, I don't see much point to waiting, and certainly not if your current iMac is seriously under-performing, likely to need an internal HD replacement in the near term, unable to run newer versions of OS X (older than a mid-2007 iMac model), etc. Having an updated computer for the upcoming year is going to pay bigger dividends for you than any improvements that are likely to arrive next year (a new computer that today is several times more capable than your current computer, vs. a computer next year that will be 10-15% faster than this year's).

My best guess for the upcoming year is that changes to the current models will be limited to storage configuration - more SSD/Flash Memory options and at somewhat better prices, and whatever incremental improvements to microprocessors Intel has in the pipeline (typically 10-15% annually).

When it comes to where to buy? It depends on your needs and where you are. The dedicated Apple department at your Best Buy may be your best, locally-available Mac-buying option. Or not. If you know exactly what you want, with no face-to-face sales support? Then you can treat it like a commodity purchase - shop around for the best deal. (If you're thinking that Best Buy/Geek Squad will also provide repair service... Geek Squad is not an Apple Authorized Service Provider - they don't do warranty service.) To search for Apple-authorized sales and support options in your area: https://locate.apple.com

I don't see Apple bringing out an iMac with a 4K display quite yet - economies of scale in 4K display production have yet to be achieved, and the consumer market for $3K computers is pretty small (which is undoubtedly what it would cost at today's display prices). I just don't see Apple selling a whole lot of $3K+ iMacs to pros - pros who really need 4K displays will also need more computing performance than iMac delivers. The first large-size Retina Display out of the Mother Ship will undoubtedly be a Thunderbolt/Cinema Display-style product aimed at the Mac Pro market. Besides, Apple's immediate goal is to get the pros to commit to the new Mac Pro configuration - they want to see fewer iMacs on professional desktops and more Mac Pros.