New iMac - Warm from cold?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xzebra, Mar 8, 2018.

1. xzebra macrumors newbie

Received my new iMac today and I live in a cold climate state (MI - 30 degrees today). How long should I warm my computer before trying to love it?

2. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

When mine arrived on a day similar to yours, I just turned it on once I got it all setup. It takes a little while to carefully unpack it and run your cords, so I guess that was enough time for mine! It was maybe an hour or 2. I don't think condensation is much of a concern, especially in the relatively dry air of winter.

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I think it's dry enough to forego any lengthy foreplay. Dive in and enjoy.

4. Guyfromtheswamp Suspended

Guyfromtheswamp

This thread is making me uncomfortable. I think I go out and have a cigarette.

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I'm of the opposite opinion. Condensation when an item is cold can be an issue. Ideally, the best thing you can do is not open the box and just let the sealed box (and the items inside) naturally warm up over the course of 2-3 hours.

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Less of an issue when humidity is ~20% from radiant heat here in the great white north. Ice water glasses barely break a sweat.

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Less of an issue for sure. However, it’s one of those things (in my mind) where it’s prudent to allow a couple of hours for temperature acclimatization. While waiting, one can sip on a beverage of their choice and slyly look at the box knowing their precious has finally arrived. :)

8. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

While we are all undecided, I bet it's safe to open the box by now. ;)

9. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

And if you haven't enjoyed a celebratory beverage yet, now would be a good time to do so!

Congrats on the new machine!