New iMac What about Virus and spyware?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Harmush, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

I just bought a new imac and i am wondering if i need to worry about viruses and spyware on it. and if i do what scanners are good?

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I hate to give this answer (actually I don't) but you should really search the forums. This question comes up at least twice a week so there's plenty of responses to gather a good answer from.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Or you could have just answered him in the time it took to construct that post.

No need to worry about viruses and spyware, just go about your business.

4. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

Chundles thanks for that.

all i needed to know

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm a fairly recent switcher - I bought my MBP in late April - and the question of virus/spam/spyware was one of the main reasons I switched. Around 18 months ago, I had come across a BBC report online which pointed out that no Mac had ever been successfully attacked by a virus, which impressed me hugely. While with Windows, I had been inundated by spam - despite having invested in quite robust anti-spam/anti-virus software - and the MBP has been an enormous improvement in that respect.
    Cheers

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Think of them as vacuum packed virus packages, one the Mac you generally have no way to open the virus -- but pass it along to a PC user and you will infect them.

The Mac doesn't run the viruses, and it doesn't kill them unless you clean your downloads.

7. AppleFanatic199 macrumors newbie

Don't worry about that Mac's are basically completely virus free.

While no computer connected to the Internet is 100 percent immune to viruses and spyware, the Mac is built on a solid UNIX foundation and designed with security in mind. The Mac web browser, Safari, alerts you whenever you’re downloading an application — even if it’s disguised as a picture or movie file. And Apple continually makes free security updates available for Mac owners. You can even have them download automatically.

8. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i agree, i been on mac for about a week now. normally windows would have alot of spyware by now, maybe even a virus. its much easier to handle a mac, and keep it running to its full potential.

I think so far anyway.

9. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I use Intego software, and they also do a dual barrier to cover you if you are using Windows on your Mac as well: http://www.intego.com/isbDP/