New iMac...what to do with old dual tower

Discussion in 'iMac' started by swandrix, Oct 23, 2012.

1. swandrix macrumors newbie

So like everyone else, I've been waiting and visiting this site more than I want to in anticipation of the new iMacs. Assuming they are released, I was wondering if anyone has any advise on what to do with my old Mac - power Mac G5 dual core, maxed out RAM, 500 and 250 gb hard drives. I would love to sell it, but is there market for these "vintage" machines? It still works like a gem but cannot update to new OS's. Thanks.

2. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Sold mine for $200 on Craigslist. It was the 2.0 model with a 500gb hd. Made $250 from it (only paid $60 for it and I kept one of the extra hard drives inside).

3. swandrix thread starter macrumors newbie

What about making sure it's completely wiped of personal information? Does simply removing the hard drives take care of that?

4. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Could work as a backup computer. You could make Automator/applescript to wake it up once a week and male timemachine backups for all your machines

5. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I will....

Sell it when I can, because the resale value of that machines is deteriorating. Software are surpassing them and will become more obsolete with any tick of the clock. So, get rid of your personal info, clean it up and sell it.Hopefully some collector or any interested in PPC hardware can shell out $250-300 :):apple: