New iMac , when?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Runnernorth, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Runnernorth macrumors member

Hi, I know I can just read buyers guide, and I have, but would be nice to hear your opinion on when we'll get to see a new iMac....? Any rumors, are we talking February, March or even April...., what do you think?
    I'm considering buying one myself, but am willing to wait a couple of months, but not a half year ....:-/
    Kindly

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Any rumors will be posted on the front page of the site or in the forums. The buyers guide is quite good, just like pumpkin pie and Apple usually delivers on an annual basis. So far, I haven't heard anything on the new iMac's. But expect them near spring time.

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Yeah, like ShoehornGeneral said, I'd expect them during the Spring time. :p I'm definitely going to buy.

4. Runnernorth thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input, think I'm going to buy then, don't want to wait THAT long
    Kindly

5. webstersp macrumors member

I'll wait, hope that the high end model will be an I7!

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I7 is already available on the 27" iMac as BTO.

7. lamboman macrumors 6502

You're talking at least Q2 2012, which is the same time that Apple released the current generation.

In short, if you really, really need one, buy now, you aren't losing out. If you want to wait, go ahead, but you'll only really be seeing a 15% or so performance gain, realistically. That's not bad at all, and is roughly what you should expect, but don't expect it to be a drastic speed improvement.

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

You also do not know which options might be available. My late 2009 i7 has a 2TB drive, and I am on my way to fill it. I would prefer to not have an external HDD, even with ThunderBolt. My hope is that the 2012 iMac is available with a 3TB or larger drive.

I will also be getting the SSD option. Currently, that is 256GB max. I am hoping for 512GB.

Given that I already have a capable machine, I can afford to wait.

/Jim

9. Computing macrumors newbie

With Ivy Bridge it's not so much the performance boost that is interesting but the lower tdp. That processor is extremely suited for a thinner redesign of the case. I would not buy a new imac at this point unless you really need one.

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Unnamed sources have suggested that Apple is already preparing for the next generation iMac and have given me an unconfirmed release date of the 8th of May 2012.

11. soco macrumors 68030

soco

There it is. Close thread.

12. daftpunkstu, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

daftpunkstu macrumors member

Rumours are may time but usually it is early to mid spring so not long to wait! i hope it's something completely new and different. Want a complete refresh!

13. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm going to go ahead and wait think I can for 5 months but anything else is going to be torture.

This will be my first ever Mac so why not go for the latest ehh ?!

14. Canadian47 macrumors newbie

can't wait.

I don't think I can wait that long. I'm going to buy my first mac for my Xmas present.:)

15. jertronic macrumors member

Why wait to buy?

I'm with you Canadian47!

I think that one of the deciding points could be...is what sort of features are you expecting to see in a new iMac...making it worth the wait?

Generally speaking...desktop computers are pretty much a "mature" technology...and don't "evolve" nearly as quickly as cell phones. So holding out for a new iPhone probably has/had more merit/payoff...than waiting for the next iMac.

I bought my first new iMac exactly 14 days ago and could not be having a better experience in terms of the performance. Back and forth, back and forth on whether to wait or to buy....... I didn't want to wait 7 months for a refreshed iMac to come out that will offer only 10-15% boost in performance.

16. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You should also make it a sticky. :p :D

17. Hakone macrumors 6502a

I reallly want an iMac but I installed Windows 7 on my Dell so I have to wait 'til that one dies before my wife let's me get a new iMac :eek:

18. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I have just created a new thread covering this very issue.

I am macless at the moment and having to make do with an old iPad and a rubbish PC.I have two grand waiting in my bank for a new mac but I don't want to buy a top end iMac to find this springs refresh gives us a quantum leap in computing innovation. I have twice bought apple devices to see a new one be released three weeks later.

Tbh I am moving towards the buy it now and bugger tomorrow camp.

19. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

And the BTO 21.5".

20. GTANJ macrumors member

Tech is always being outdated months after you purchase it. If you kept wanting to wait for the latest thing, you'd be waiting forever :p

21. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Just made the jump on a top-end refurb, couldn't wait anymore, at least not till May. If the leap is huge enough, I'll resell and buy the new one, but for now I think I'll be content with what I get. More than content actually, since at the moment I'm on a 2007 2.2 ghz mbp. The leap I see will definitely be a quantum leap :p

22. tom vilsack, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

just buy one..if you always wait you will never get one