New iMac Which Factory Would You Choose ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by siam, Jan 26, 2008.

1. siam macrumors regular

I was looking at some iMacs at my local Apple reseller shop , and noticed that
    some machines were manufactured in different places ( looking at the serial numbers )
    if your Apple shop stocked Machines that were from different factories, and you could choose which factory your new iMac came from before buying it ,which factory would you choose, ..? or do you think there’s no difference in factories

F: Fremont, CA, USA
    CK: Cork, Ireland
    SG, E: Singapore
    XA, XB: Sacramento, CA, USA
    FC: Fountain, CO, USA (PowerBooks only)
    PK, SI: Mexico
    LT, SR , UV, Taiwan
    G, A: USA
    MI, SK, M: Malaysia
    PT: Korea
    W8: Shanghai China
    QT: Taiwan (Quanta Factory)

Thanks

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I doubt there's any difference. They are all manufactured using Apple Approved parts so I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Agreed. And on that basis I would choose the one in Ireland, since its closest to me therefore decreasing shipping times :)

4. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

Mexico for sure...

Mainly because Apple Canada charges $200 more then Apple U.S. and if buy a Macbook in the U.S. and it's Manufactured in Canada, U.S., or Mexico I will not have to pay customs on it:)

5. alfsevic macrumors newbie

alfsevic

Whatever you do, don´t buy the W8 from Shanghai. They develop vertical lines a few weeks after the garantee has run out. I´ve got one, and Apple don´t want to know about it. It started off with one line, now six months later eight lines just visit

http://imaclines.blogspot.com/

6. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

Considering the Alum iMac came out in August of 07, how has the guarantee "run out" ? There is a 1 year warranty on all new and refurb Apple products. Also, your comment is wildly speculative that all W8 machines should be avoided because of a vertical line issue. I for one have a new iMac, W8, with no issues, and am aware of at least two others.

I agree with the posters here. The factory makes little difference since the manufacturing process is standardized, as well as the parts that are used.

7. next macrumors newbie

The W8 issue happens to white iMacs, some G5's and most early 2006 intel iMacs. Not with alum imacs. It's also an issue on 17'' iMacs.

I have 6 lines on my screen, and considering when the last appeared, i should be having the 7th anytime soon. :cool::apple:

8. squeese macrumors newbie

Actually, I ordered a Alum 24" Core duo late 2007, got mine shipped from Shanghai (Serial staring with W8..) and voila, I got my first line today. Granted, its withing warranty, but I can guarantee that more W8 (shanghai) alum imacs will produce more lines in the cooming days, and more so around the time warranty expires. ;(

9. GeraintXX macrumors newbie

My iMac is from the W8 factory.

After 3 months the internal HDD completely died, the machine runs from an external drive now and has done so for over a year.

The LCD screen has creases in it which appear as dark patches across the top.

I haven't had vertical lines yet but there's still time!!

Why didn't you send it back as per warranty I can hear... Because I was inundated with work and could only afford the one machine. If I sent it back and waited again I would not have been able to continue with my work while waiting for another age for the machine to arrive.

I am so glad to hear about the W8 Shanghai factory as I am now on my feet and can afford to buy another Mac. I was contemplating a PC but will stick with Apple... just NOT from the Shanghai factory! Their production runs may be the same but their quality control is non-existent!!