New iMac - which hard drive option?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by asfafa, Jan 31, 2014.

1. asfafa macrumors newbie

I currently have a 20-inch mid-2007 iMac with 4GB RAM and an upgraded 2TB hard drive, and I want to purchase the latest 27-inch iMac (3.2 GHz CPU with 8GB RAM), but I would like some advice in selecting a hard drive option, in terms of cost/value for money, reliability and practicality.

I have a 300GB iTunes library, and also 1TB video library stored on my current iMac, as they are streamed all over the house, and as everything is on the drive, it makes it easier to back up.

- Should I upgrade to a 3TB Fusion drive, and copy everything across, which makes backing up easier?

- Or should I just have a 1TB Fusion drive (or even a small SSD), and move my iTunes library and video library to external drives? My only issue then would be having too many external drives lying around with all the backups to do also...

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks, Paul

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

If as you say, you'd rather not go the external drive route, the 3TB Fusion drive is a no-brainer. In your case, the perfect compromise between performance and cost.

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

4. BESLC macrumors regular

I agree on the 3TB fusion drive. The fusion drive isompressive. In terms of reliability there are threads in the forum you can read which indicate the reliability is essentially the same between the fusion and ssd drives.

5. asfafa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your quick (and unanimous) replies!

Paul

6. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Practicality would suggest a 3TB fusion drive. However if you want faster boot ups, better overall speed a SSD with an external drive is also a good option

7. accountforit macrumors 6502a

256 gb internal SSD

Store your media externally.

8. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

3TB for cost and convenience but your suggestion and perhaps the purchase of a NAS would also be a good choice.

9. yjchua95, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

yjchua95 macrumors 604

Out of budget concerns, I'd suggest the 3TB Fusion.

Otherwise, go for a pure SSD setup for unparalleled speeds and reliability.

Edit: I use pure-SSD setups on both my iMacs.

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I personally went with a 512GB SSD for fastest system response and app launching. I store my big media libraries (iTunes - 1.5TB and iPhoto - 300GB) and scratch folders on an external Thunderbolt drive.

Time machine will back up external drives as well, not just internal drives, so everything gets backed up automatically to a second external TB drive specifically for TM.

11. etichi macrumors newbie

I have fusion and it laced with usb problems. Hopefully Apple fixes this.

12. BESLC macrumors regular

Could you explain what problems you are having? I have a fusion drive, not one issue with it, I think it is a great drive.