New iMac. Which RAM? From where?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Petoz, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I have just bought one of the brand new refreshed iMacs. I just went for the basic 2.4GHz 20" model. I would like to upgrade the RAM to either 2GB or 4GB. I have had a look, and am not entirely sure what RAM I need. I know it is different to the previous iMac, as the speed of the RAM has increased to 800MHz i think. And is PC2 6400?

I have looked on crucial, and used the system scanner, and it did not come up with anything. I am in the UK, and was wondering if anyone was also looking for new iMac RAM, and had found some. If so, could you please let me know.

Post website links on here if you know them. Any other help regarding the RAM in the new iMacs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

I'm assuming it is using the same RAM from the previous iteration of the iMac. The best place to buy it, IMO, is from Crucial.

4. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

I looked on crucial. It uses faster RAM than the last gen iMac, so the RAM it takes me to when i fill in the options is wrong. Also, when i used the crucial system scanner, it didn't show up any results.

5. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Developer note...

7. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

9. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

10. rediffusion macrumors regular

rediffusion

what should i do with two 1gb ram if i upgrade to 4gb? is there anywhere that does part exchange?

11. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

OWC has a $20 rebate program. they will give you $20 for your OEM Mac memory. there's an online form that you fill out.

12. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

Thanks, but that is in $. I am in the UK, so need them in £'s. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

" (if you are a mac user, we suggest you check with Apple or your local Apple outlet) as we are unable to accept returns of the item for incompatibility."

Bad sign. If it doesn't work, and you're stuck with it. Not the type of confidence you're looking for in your reseller.

14. rediffusion macrumors regular

rediffusion

Can somebody point me in the right direction to this? I can't see it on their site.

thanks
    R

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I recommended it because in another thread I was recommended 7DS (and that recommendation backed up) for my MB, people seem to have had good experiences. Is that the right type of RAM?

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's nominally the right specification, but if the seller isn't prepared to stand behind it, no ways am I going to say 'it's the right RAM'

17. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I'd go crucial personally. flopticalcube's link is what you want, you get to that page simply by ignoring the auto detect system feature, and selecting the imac 3.06Ghz as your system.
    However that 7day place is shockingly cheap compared to crucial, but perhaps too much so...

18. hfthomp macrumors member

Newegg.com is the best place. Cheap prices and crazy fast shipping. I upgraded my iMac to 4gb for $65+shipping.

19. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Good for some, but not the OP, he said he's in the UK.

20. imac123 macrumors regular

the new iMacs are apparently capable of running RAM at 800MHz, but is this really true?

I beleive what would limit it to 667Mhz is the type of chipset in the iMac, and I've read so many different things about santa rosa vs montevista or whatever they are called that i ended up confused about what the new specs really are :confused:

21. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

iMac specs note the 800Mhz ram.

22. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

Thanks for all the help. Would the 667Mhz PC2-5300 RAM work in the brand new iMacs as well? Or is it just the faster RAM that will work? I ask, as I am not a heavy user, and do not think I would notice any difference. Any ideas? Or recommendations? Thanks.

23. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I expect it would work, but am only guessing, however I'd strongly recommend against it, it probably would make quite a big performance drop and I can't see you saving very much money at all doing that.

24. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

That makes sense. OK, another question. As my iMac only has 1GB RAM at the moment, will adding another 1GB be really noticeable, and speed it up alot? Or would you recommend going for 4GB. Considering, 1GB is only £14.09, and 4GB will cost £70.49.

I am not sure which would be best. Just the 1GB extra, and saving money, or losing 1GB in my machine, and adding 4GB for the cost above. Any recommendations or opinions?