Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rallycars

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
After waiting 2 months for my new iMac, it is finally here, and it is a beast. I have used target disc mode before, but for some reason it won't work now. My iBook loads into target disc mode fine, but the iMac doesn't see it. I have tried unplugging the firewire cable and repluging it once iBook is in target disk mode. I have also tried resetting the iMac after iBook is in tdm. I know the firewire port works because it shows my external drive. There isn't enough room on it to put my whole 60+GB music library. Ihave another external hdd that is big enough, but I'd rather not transfer twice, and I also saw an article that said the best way to transfer the itunes library is with itunes itself in tdm. I could transfer the files over external hdd if it comes to it, but I don't want to miss any important files.

Diggin' the new keyboard.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It is quite odd that the iMac doesn't see the iBook in Target Disk Mode.

In my opinion the best way to transport an iTunes Library is to move the entire iTunes folder from ~/Music. You're not going to miss any files since they're all their if you let iTunes organize your music.

rallycars

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
It is quite odd that the iMac doesn't see the iBook in Target Disk Mode.

In my opinion the best way to transport an iTunes Library is to move the entire iTunes folder from ~/Music. You're not going to miss any files since they're all their if you let iTunes organize your music.

Thanks Eidorian, you are the man. I expected a quick response, but I was only able to read one thread and refresh before I got my answer. No complaints here.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thanks Eidorian, you are the man. I expected a quick response, but I was only able to read one thread and refresh before I got my answer. No complaints here.
I'd try small network or even just enabling file sharing if you have a router to handle DHCP.

You can use Static IPs as well but they're not as easy.

mike009

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
More imac wierdness

My new imac wakes up from sleeping when I turn on the lights. I don't think this "feature" is good or bad, just wierd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.