New IMac with dead pixels... your thoughts...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CyrusOz, Mar 18, 2009.

1. CyrusOz macrumors regular

When I took my new iMac 24 out of the box last week, instantly i noticed about 3 or 4 dead pixels, they aren't too bad but it's only of those things you don't expect with a new computer and it can be quite distracting once you know they are there.... if i were to contact the place of purchase in regards to this do you feel i would be over-reacting to have it replaced or repaired or should i just suck it up?

Love to hear your thoughts.
    CyrusOz

2. mbleopard macrumors regular

Sounds like you didn't get it straight from Apple, I would inquire about a replacement from where ever you got it, Apple products are not cheap so its a bit harder to accept imperfections, but its ultimately up to you.

3. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Hurry up, the clock is ticking. I think places have a 14-day return here in Canada.

4. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I'm not sure what Apple's stance is on it, but most manufacturers have a certain "acceptable" percentage of bad pixels before they'll exchange it... I'm sure a quick 'googling' will find it.

...but as for me, if I'm shelling out 2 grand for a machine, it better be flawless!!

--rob

5. Aegelward macrumors 6502

Apple *should* have a zero dead pixel policy, a few years ago most companies were able to get away with 5 or so, but since TFT manufacturing has improved nearly every company have a 0 pixel policy these days.

Take it in to an apple store, and show them your problem, they might even give you a brand new one right then, assuming it isn't a BTO

6. waiwai macrumors regular

Request a refund/exchange because you are not satisified with the product due to the dead pixels. Make that claim and they'll get you a replacement. Don't settle to have it sent in for Applecare, cuz it turns into a refurb as soon as they open it up and replace the screen... You paid for a new iMac just like everyone else you better get a new one like everyone else. Other customers get 0 dead pixels, and you get dead pixels? Not fair. Make that clear to them and they're gonna get on their knees and make things all better for you :) Don't let Apple push you around with defective displays. HURRY before your 14 day thing runs out. You're in for a hurting if you wait passed that period.

Tell them to shove it if they say they charge u restocking fee. They can always waive it.

7. CyrusOz thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys I'll get in touch with Apple directly as the reseller didn't want to know about it. I purchased the AppleCare with it so I'll be hoping for a replacement... it just sucks that I have everything transferred onto this Mac now and have finally figured out how I want it personally configured.

thanks for your help peeps :)

8. Matek macrumors 6502a

Absolutely not true. Most companies sell products in Class II according to this standard.

Apple have their version of the policy (found here), so it's really up to you. Perhaps you can convince them to replace your computer, but unfortunately, there is no guarantee it will happen.

9. CyrusOz thread starter macrumors regular

interesting, i'll give them a call and see how i go... then i'll report back here for your info.

As a point of interest, if i have a pixel always appearing as red regardless of the colour it should be (say it should be appearing as white but is showing red instead) does that qualify as a dead pixel too?

10. Matek macrumors 6502a

That's a defective pixel, but not a dead one. There are two major categories - the first, more serious one are hot and dead pixels. These are either always on (completely white) or always off (completely black). They are the serious ones because the whole pixel is affected.

The second, less serious category is a stuck pixel, where only one or two of the 3 subpixels (red, green or blue) is always on/off. This is your case. The second issue is usually treated as a smaller problem - in other words - you need to have more of them for the display to be replaced.

But what I described is defined in the standard I linked above. In the Apple guidelines I also linked, they seem to divide the issues into two different categories - bright and dark, so perhaps your red pixel will be treated as a "bright" one, which is good, since it's treated as a more severe issue.