New iMac won't recognize iPad, iPhone.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fishsafari, Dec 27, 2010.

1. fishsafari macrumors newbie

I bought a new iMac for Christmas. We've had an iPad and an iPhone, synced to our Windows PC. Tried to move the library from PC to Mac. The iMac won't recognize either device. Followed the reinstall of iTunes instructions on apple.com that it gives for this problem, still no luck.

I am going to call support, but wonder if anyone has got any suggestions? Thanks.

2. TheNakedMan macrumors member

3. fishsafari thread starter macrumors newbie

4. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Long shot here...

If they are still backed up to the PC, do a reset on the device. Then try to sync with the Mac.

5. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

What USB port are you using to connect them?

Are you using Apple cables? (crazy, I know but using a noname cable worked great on the PC. iMac no dice.)

If you aren't afraid of losing any of the data on your iPhone, try putting it into to DFU mode and restoring on your Mac.

6. fishsafari thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using the Apple cables.

I wiped the iPad and restored, then tried. No dice. Doing that one more time right now, just for kicks.

7. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Your iMac isn't recognizing your iPad but you could restore it?huh? :-(

8. fishsafari thread starter macrumors newbie

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

When I bought my new iMac, I had similar concerns re syncing my iPhone. I used Migration assistant to transfer Apps. This ensures all settings get transferred too. However, I'm not sure if this would work transferring from Windows.

10. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I do not believe that migration assistant will work between Windows and a Mac.

11. fishsafari thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, moving files with iPod doesn't work with a Touch, according to Apple, and that's the only kind of iPod I have.

Problem is resolved, however! Called Apple support and the rep walked me through a re-install of iTunes. I had already followed the process from Apple support page, which included deleting of some files in other locations. He had me delete one more file than the support page, so maybe that was why it didn't work the first time.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Time to sync!

12. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted out and working!