New iMac......worth waiting????

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cbdboz, Oct 31, 2013.

  1. Cbdboz macrumors regular

    Cbdboz

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    #1
    With recent updates on MacBook Pro to thunderbolt 2... And rumoured similar imminent updates to Mac mini ..... Is it likely that iMac will have a quiet refresh to similar spec any time soon...or only I the next annual update.

    Welcome views....
     
  2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

    sonicrobby

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2013
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #2
    The iMac was recently refreshed right after the iPhone launch (September). The soonest I think we will see another refresh is no earlier than next summer. But in reality you never know. I wouldn't want to wait though, but thats just me.
     
  3. tbolt11 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2013
    #3
    i wouldn't wait either. nows a good as time as any.

    get a fusion drive
     
  4. ckeck macrumors 6502a

    ckeck

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    Location:
    Texas
    #4
    Broadwell based iMacs will likely land around late-Spring or early-Summer due to the delay Intel announced not long ago. From what I've seen this should be a bigger upgrade (Haswell --> Broadwell) than Ivy Bridge to Haswell.

    It really depends on if you need a system immediately or not or if you can wait 6-9 months.

    If you can wait I'd recommend holding off for a few reasons:

    - already mentioned a bigger performance jump from generation to generation with Broadwell

    - will be outfitted with a better GPU at that time which may be beneficial if you ever go 4K, since that who "revolution" is about to land over the next few years

    - fusion drives may either be faster (pretty fast today, not saying they are slow) OR SSD/PCIe storage is going to drop a lot more in price over that time

    - might see an upgrade to the display panel built into the iMacs (big maybe)

    - TB2 although I don't think that's really critical unless you have a really specific use case

    Just my opinion/thoughts. If you can get by, wait it out, otherwise the Haswell iMacs are pretty nice. I'm typing this from one now. :apple:
     
  5. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #5
    Based on when IvyBridge iMacs shipped compared to when the processors were available, it may be closer to October next year before the Broadwell iMacs ship. I'd say buying now is good. If you wait 9+ months, then the next upgrade is only 9 or so months away.
     
  6. ckeck macrumors 6502a

    ckeck

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    Location:
    Texas
    #6
    True...I only said to wait if there wasn't any sort of immediate need. Believe it or not some people do buy these machines out of impulse and don't always use them heavily. :D
     

Share This Page