new iMac, wrong advice from support line?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bensheim, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Bensheim macrumors newbie

I bought my first-ever iMac on Thursday. I've spent all Thursday evening, all day Friday till midnight and all day today till 3pm getting used to the new OS - I was on OS 9 till now - and making the wireless, printer, browser and email work.

Today I went to have a look at iWorks 08 for the first time ever. I chose the take a guided tour option first.

At that point I got a black frame, white panel with an Apple in it, not moving. Is this the dreaded FREEZE I keep reading about on this forum? I wouldn't know - it's my first iMac, my first OS X, my first iWorks. Here's what happened next. I phoned the 90-day free support helpline which came with the purchase.

The guy there said I seemed to have corrupted the OS and had to put an instal CD in, press C and restart. This only resulted in a knocking noise from the CD drive. At that point he gave up completely and told me to phone Apple. :confused: He also said I'd lose all my settings so far; all my work of the last 48 hours.

Apple's phone number had a 15-minute queue, so while waiting I pressed the on/off button and sat there holding it in. Then I pressed C. To my amazement the iMac came back to life and recognised the CD. Uneasy about this, since it knew what I'd renamed the hard disk I went ahead with a full OS reinstal. This took over an hour.

NOW, as you can see, I'm back up and running. The iMac has not forgotten any of my work. I think the guy on the helpline didn't know what he was talking about. I think, he should have said, hold the on/off button for at least six seconds and you'll be fine.

Please, someone, reassure me that it is not usual to reinstal the entire OS after a freeze - or indeed - that that was what it was, a freeze.

By way of background, I have been using Macs for 13 years. On the old G4s there is a re-set button at the front to get out of freezes. I have never had to reinstal the entire OS on any Mac I have ever owned before, and certainly not one which is only two days old.

ps. I see the freeze fix message on the home page here. The specification does not fit what's on the box here. I have a ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics card. Am I right to think it's inappropriate for me, then.

Many thanks for any and all responses, in advance.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

You don't need to reinstall your OS. The problem you have is that some of the new iMacs suffer from periodic freezing. This issue is fixed by a firmware update released on Thursday, I believe. Just run software update over and over until you don't have any more updates to install. Then go to your utilities folder and run the firmware update app if you are not prompted to install the firmware after restart. Follow the instructions and the problem should be solved.

3. Bensheim thread starter macrumors newbie

Hallo nag, thanks for replying.

You mean, I didn't need to. I thought as much. So much for help-lines.

(I wonder if people realise that some people like me are not stupid, are savvy, but have never seen an iMac before - it's all different from all previous Macs ....... the bloke on the helpline clearly/must have thought that I was used to it, or, more likely, he had never seen a pre-iMac before.)

Anyway, I had to learn how to reboot it without his help - or anyone else's. Just instincts. Later on, while waiting for the re-instal to complete and reading the rinky-dinky booklet which came with it, it says to hold down the power on/off button for six or more seconds. Now I know. It looks like a case of RTFM for me. ;)

Re the firmware updates, I'll do that next. Thanks!

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, if you need to force shut down your computer due to it being locked up just hold the power button down for a few seconds.