New iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hajdoki, May 28, 2011.

1. hajdoki macrumors newbie

Hows it going...Im looking to get a new iMac but im stuck on the one I'm looking to get. Here are the choices.

21.5 inch
    2.8 i7
    4 gigs
    1 TB
    AMD 6770 512

OR

27 inch
    3.1 i5
    4 gigs
    1TB
    AMD HD 6970 1 Gb

I do mainly FCP editing with some video games, to keep in dorm room.

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Go with the second choice if its still under your budget. You'll appreciate the extra CPU power for editing/rendering and the GPU power for gaming.

3. Bat6111 macrumors member

Bat6111

Plus...better get core i7 too, you need it when you render your FCP project.

4. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

So you've basically asked us "I'm getting a new car, my choices are:

Ford Fiesta

BMW M3

I'm getting it because I really like driving"

...well obviously get M3 (27" iMac) then :D

5. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

The second choice with the AMD HD 6970 2GB and i7. To get faster rendering, the i7 will REALLY help. Of course this option costs about $2500, but I think this machine will last you for a great amount of time, without the need to upgrade very soon. If this is within your budget, go for it. If your a little off, I would honestly save up for this configuration.

Good Luck on your choice!

6. hajdoki thread starter macrumors newbie

My understanding the i7 processor is better than the i5 processor especially when it comes to FCP and stuff like that. Honestly I wouldn't do much gaming (roller coaster tycoon :p) but mainly editing videos and stuff like that.

The 27 with the i7 comes out to be $2,398.00

The 21.5 with the i7 comes to be $1,898.00

Will the 500$ be worth it? (prices with warranty)

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The extra screen estate is a huge plus when working with FCP. IMO the 27" is worth it due to the screen size. You also get a better GPU which should help with some FCS apps (such as Color is pretty GPU intensive from what I have heard).

8. Bear macrumors G3

Here in lies the biggest piece of information needed to make that decision. How big is the dorm room? Will the 27" Monitor fit without issues?

9. hajdoki thread starter macrumors newbie

What if I only do basic editing? Nothing really extensive. Maybe some Effects in the future when I teach myself :)

www.youtube.com/hajdoki are the type of videos I work on atm

Basically the question is that, will the i7 21.5 inch disappoint any of my needs?
    I game on the ps3 when it comes to new games, I play old school games on bootcamp windows. FCP editing short youtube films and maybe eventually use aftereffects.

@ Bear lol good point, I still plan to have a 32 inch HDTV somewhere for my ps3 :p

http://www.northernc.on.ca/docs/Residence Handbook 10-11 final.pdf

10. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Bottom Line: If you can afford the extra $$$ go for the i7 27". Better performance, gaming, rendering etc. Also better lock on your resale value down the road, just something to think about.
    While the i7 27" real estate is a real +++++ the 21" is not a skimpy machine either and may well serve your purpose if you are going to have a 32" HDTV in your room as well for gaming etc.
    For most people the i7 is overkill in that the programs they use do not take full advantage of the quad core gpu.

11. hajdoki thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

I was looking at benchmarks test between the various cpus available for the imac.

Can someone pinpoint the 2.8 ghz i7 avail for 21.5
    vs the 3.1 ghz i5 and 3.4 ghz i7 avail for the 27