New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by indecisiveKid, Feb 16, 2012.

1. indecisiveKid macrumors newbie

As you can tell by my name I think a lot, I purchased a new iMac today but i'm wondering if that was a smart move, should i have waited? Will the new processors Ivy bridge enhance my experience of web use,Some video editing & photoshop work.
    I read somewhere that most apple products will get a redesign this year how likely is this for iMac, i mean iPad 3 doesn't seem like it will be redesigned. Have i made a good choice? are this sandy bridge iMacs the bess knees, There will always be something better around the corner, if redesigned i'm willing to wait/ Ivy is way better. Please help

2. simon567 macrumors member

There threads full of people speculating about new iMacs, but in truth nobody knows. If I were on the look-out for a new computer, at this stage into the cycle I would probably wait and see what appears. It could be nothing more than a specs bump though.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I don't think you'll regret it. We've got an iMac from 2008 and it's still going strong.

Say, the new iMacs came out tomorrow, that would be bad. But a few weeks. Doesn't really matter.

4. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

How did you make a decision to buy iMac over Mac mini or MacBook Air + display or any other choice?

I am not sure if I should return the iMac and buy something else.

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Why on earth would anyone regret purchasing a new iMac, unless of course they bought one that cannot do the job for them.

Does the one you bought, meet your needs?

Use it in good health, have fun with it, get some work done.

About the only thing you will lose if a new one comes out in the near future is the " I got me the latest greatest iMac! " bragging rights. Did you buy yours for bragging rights?

I bought my new iMac yesterday, 27" / 3.4 Ghz i7 CPU / 8 Gig Ram.

I plan on keeping mine for at least 3 years, so I got the Apple Care coverage as well.

My decrepit, ancient, out of date 24" iMac is still running like a champ and it is over 4 years old. I handed that down to my son because his old G3 Apple computer finally bit the dust.

6. yashi macrumors member

You have an awesome computer that you can use right now, so there's no reason to have any regrets. It's not like the 2012 iMac is going to transform into Optimus Prime or something, it will just do what yours does a little faster.

7. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

I bought one this month, and my only regret is that am not using it too its full potential yet !

8. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

My G5(!) imac just died...so i am definitely in the market for a new one too. Gonna be an expensive year. In addition to getting a new iMac, i wanna update my ipad 1 to a 3 when they come out, and I am waiting for the iphone 5 this summer to buy my first iphone(off contract that is). A triple apple whammy. Yowza!

I think the original poster is fine with one of the current imacs. I am only waiting for the update cause I currently travel alot, so don't need an imac just yet. But i definitely want one for my creative projects when I settle down.

I know the macbooks are gonna get a complete redesign soon...but the ipad is my weapon of choice creatively when on the road now. And with the ipad 3 rumored to be getting a retina display and a Quad core A6 chip...it will be able to handle all my video and photography and web surfing while traveling. Yeeeehaaaaw!

The iphone 5 i am waiting for....not so much for the battery issues of the 4S....but more for the rumored 4" screen its gonna get.

So it's wait...wait....wait for me. Lol.

9. nostylluan macrumors member

the next processors only increase performance by 15-20%

it only matters if you play video games since the video card will be better, besides that your imac is fine.

10. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Just bought an iMac 21.5 inch to replace my G4 and its love at first click dont return it its a great machine the iMac was updated what 6-7 months ago dont worry so much if anything the MacBook Pros would get a refresh first they were upgraded around this time last year

11. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I got my new baby earlier this week, and have already had hours and hours of fun using it. I've been exhausted at work all week because I've been staying up to late playing around with it. Even if they come out with a new iMac in a couple months I'll have put countless hours by then enjoying this, so I'm very happy with my purchase.

Can you hit the ground running on your video editing/photoshop work? If so, how much is that headstart worth to you?

Since you already bought it it seems like you're eager, so I'd encourage you to follow your gut and go with it.

12. indecisiveKid thread starter macrumors newbie