New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PurdueBoy, Feb 21, 2012.

1. PurdueBoy macrumors newbie

Ok so I bit the bullet and bought a 27in iMac today. I was wondering what are the must have programs I should download. Also, about how much would it be to upgrade to 16GB of ram possibly links to purchase? I'm not sure which ram is correct and have read a few confusing posts on the subject. Thanks.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If you have to ask, you don't need to. As far as useful apps, search the forum.

3. xplnusa macrumors regular

I just upgraded to 16GB a couple of weeks ago. I want to say it ran me about $90. www.crucial.com and it will tell you what you need. You can either order straight from them or Amazon.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    There are dozens of threads on this, filled with suggestions, links, etc., easily found by searching the forum. Before you upgrade, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure you can benefit from more RAM.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

5. PurdueBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

You are quite unpleasant, and thanks for the info everyone else. I just ordered 16GB from Amazon. Crucial has this app you download that told me exactly what would work it was pretty cool.