New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cyborg21, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

I know that you can change RAM on 27-inch model. If I purchase AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac and change RAM with non-apple RAMs that supports Mac, does it void AppleCare Protection Plan or Warranty? (Sorry for my bad english)

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

No. Changing the RAM on the 27" will not void your warranty. However if you do get a fault, switch it back to the standard configuration before taking it in.

4. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

But if I accidently break something while replacing the Rams will it void warranty?

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Well to be honest there isn't a lot that can break when changing the RAM. If you were to damage the slots or something, then yes they wouldn't replace those. If you are careful it isn't that hard. Check out some videos on YouTube. If your that worried, just pay the apple tax and get them to do it.

6. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

something wrong happened ...tell us the truth....what have you done to your iMac? ...:D

7. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

:D lol. I don't have an iMac yet :( but I'm going to buy one. Ram prices are too high there are much cheaper alternatives. I don't want to pay 2x money for RAM beacuse I can change it on 27 inch model but I'm just a little bit concerned :confused:.

8. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

There are many other issues to be concerned with an 27'' iMac such as its LG monitor bad quality control....

iMac warranty won't be a problem if you intend to replace RAM (regardless the RAM brand).

Good luck! ;)

9. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

LG bad quality control?

10. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

It is written that 27'' iMacs (2012-2013) are built with LG monitors.

When Apple receives these monitors (somewhere in China), they inspect, test them and discard whatever is below standards.

However, some (many?) customers have experienced several monitor problems (IR, yellowish, light bleeding etc) with their brand new 27'' iMacs and replaced them 1 or 2 times till they found a "good piece"...

Now, tell me your opinion, how do you call it?

11. imurdaddy macrumors member

It's called mass production....it's gonna happen as a statistical matter of fact. What that ratio is...no one here knows...including you.