New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by driverjoe, Jun 18, 2014.

1. driverjoe macrumors newbie

Apple is losing it. They just came out with cheaper iMac but only took off $200. off wth. Who would buy this much cheaper spec. machine to save $200.?

2. chelch macrumors regular

3. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

You would be surprised. Take a drive down to the DMV this afternoon and look around. Those people.

... or anybody at walmart at 1am.

4. Jingleballz macrumors newbie

Where's the refresh/update to the 27" model?

5. milesc3 macrumors newbie

Doesn't appear to be any changes to the 27" at all

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Apple is not targeting them.

Targeting schools, education, libraries. The reduced CPU is still plenty for word processing, digital card catalogs, and web.

$200 off per unit across 200-500units is extremely significant.

7. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Don't kid yourself. If that is all they need a computer to do then they won't be buying imacs. Any computer sold today can provide that.

8. chelch macrumors regular

So wtf?

The update that was predicted and we were expecting was supposed to be similar to the MBA update... Haswell refresh and price drop across the board... instead we got the MBA update in an iMac!?!?!

You can try to spin this as savings for schools/libraries/whatever but there a many much cheaper options in all-in-one PCs.

So WTF? What are they thinking?

9. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

It is speculated to be the same processor in the Mac Air. While it is unquestionably inferior, it should provide a solid entry-level experience. I do think it is competitive in price if you need a brand new desktop setup including monitor and attachments but given that most people already have an existing desktop, I can't find myself recommending it over the Mac Mini as an entry level computer. The Mini might have two year old Ivy Bridge architecture but it's i5 is arguably better and the machine itself is $500 cheaper. Even if that money goes right back to Apple for factory RAM and SSD upgrade, you'll do far better than this iMac.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

What Mac would they buy then?

A Macbook Air that is harder to security tether, smaller display, no wired ethernet?
    A Mac mini that is 2 years old, and still needs display, keyboard/mouse supplied?
    No clue what you are thinking...

11. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Here's a clue, they won't buy macs. A monitor with an intel NUC taped to the back will suffice.

12. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

Or a Chromebook.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Here's a clue. In 2Q12 alone (first numbers I found in google) Apple sold 500,000 Macs to educational institutions.
    Macs are all over educational institutions.

But, feel free to ignore reality, stick youre fingers in your ear, and keep believing whatever you pull out of your butt.

14. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

They're better off buying Chromebooks for $200 each.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/everything/~3/JpeqtI7dnQc/story01.htm

----------

VERY unlikely. The amount of extra in tech support cost, software unavailability, training for such a startup niche product.

And the risk some IT manager or superintendent gets laid off and reputation dashed when such an extreme risk is taken. Macs are the gold standard for educational institutions.

16. artfun macrumors member

Or even a tablet, not sure though if there are many of those that are cheaper than Cromebooks.

17. dcat0921 macrumors newbie

Some people want an iMac but don't need the latest/greatest/most powerful setup. They will see a lower price and buy one. Apple doesn't just market their stuff for the people on this forum. It is more than enough for probably 75% of people buying a computer...

18. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

The Apple Premium is well worth paying for not having to use Windows. The price gap vs prior base model is roughly 20%, pretty significant.

19. cynics macrumors G3

500k is a relatively small number if we are talking all educational institutions in the US. Worldwide that is an insignificant drop in the bucket.

Who isn't accepting reality here? Apple wouldn't change tactics if they were happy with previous sales numbers now would they?

20. trsblader macrumors 6502

I disagree. Many schools are buying Macs because their students use it and are familiar with it. Give someone something they are familiar with and there are less issues with users unable to do the simple task because they don't know where something is.

21. chelch macrumors regular

It makes no sense...

to use a 15W mobile CPU that is listed at a higher recommended price on ark.intel.com

There used to be an I3 21.5" iMac. Current I3 chips are much cheaper than the I5s. So it would be LOGICAL that an I3 was used instead.

This leaves me to believe someone ordered way too many of these I5-4260U chips for the MBA update, and they're not selling. Sales are so low on the entry MBA side, that they're shoving this 15W mobile CPU in a desktop.

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Thats 1 quarter...

23. jwp333 macrumors member

If it came with a SSD or fusion drive at that price, we might have something. It would at least equal the Macbook Air. But with its spinning disk drive and $1099 price tag, this machine is lacking. If it's for the education crowd, maybe they should leave it in the education store. For the regular consumer, it's a disappointment.

24. cynics macrumors G3

I assumed so...

The problem with Mac adoption is most educational institutions are already set up for a Windows based machine making it financially impossible to switch to all Mac especially in a system where one PC is replaced one at a time with another PC.

Software limitations mandated by instructors that potentially don't have a version on OSX (ran into that a lot in school).

Tech support in all respects is about 50:1, 50 being window based computer techs.

I love Macs but I don't think they will ever catch up to PC's in schools. Keep in mind schools have always got discounts on Mac orders so a discounted iMac makes little difference especially with it's specs. Plus physical media is still important in a school environment, a Mac all in one isn't an all in one if you are required to buy accessories for your application of basic use.

25. BroMcBro18 macrumors newbie

Then Don't buy it... Not that complicated. Wait for the new ones to come out in October.