New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ageless40, Aug 8, 2014.

1. ageless40 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone

I am thinking of switching over to mac from windows. And just have a few concerns.
    My biggest concern is the graphincs card i been reading and saw lot of posts about the 780m equalling a 4 year old graphics card.
    i basically use the MAC for work which everything is in the cloud so no problem there, surfing the web, watching movies and playing games. The main games i will play is WOW or any Blizzard game. I know they release all games on mac. And if i want to play another game i will look in the apple store to see what i find.

Will the 780m be good enough to play wow especially since the new expansion is coming out or will it be better if i wait for the update to the imacs. I know its always better to wait but if its only a small improvement i am ok with that if it is rumored to be a big improvement then i will wait.

Also if anyone plays wow and could let me know how the game is on the imac that would be appreciated.

thanks

2. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

3. khedden macrumors member

The 780m will be fine for your purposes. As the link above shows, it runs WOW and Diablo III at native res (2560x1440, which is greater than 1080p) at more than 60 fps.

Even with the new expansion, I would expect similar performance. For newer games that come out down the road, you may have to run them in 1080p (1920x1080) instead to get the performance you want. But it's all a matter of individual taste.

4. Kjos macrumors member

A question I can finally give advice too on the iMac forums!

I have the 2 GB Graphics card on my 27 inch iMac, I mainly play League of Legends, and I've also ran Starcraft II on insanely high maxed out graphics. iMacs are powerful machines that can run just about anything out there with ease, any questions just message me man, I can test it on my machine and get back too you!

Best of luck

5. flopticalcube, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

6. ageless40 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

thanks everyone for the help i am going to wait for the new update to come i think it will be better long term since i want to keep the mac for a while

thanks again for all the advice