New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Pyrotechnic, Mar 9, 2015.

  1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502


    Feb 28, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Six years ago this week, I bought my first iMac and it was the best move I ever made. Six years on, I find myself in a position where I am able to upgrade and purchase a newer model. I intend to utilise my old one by passing onto my children and letting them have individual log ins etc.

    My question is, are there any newer models around the corner and is it worth hanging on. I know I could always be hanging on for the next one but I don't want to buy a new one only to find a week or so after that a newer model has been released. I guess today would have been a day to announce a newer model but I have not seen anything, so now thinking its time to purchase.

    I don't think a 5k model is for me ? However, if anyone has any tips on what I should avoid or what I should go for it would be appreciated.

    As well as the normal office work, I use Lightroom and more recently getting into family video work. My current HD is a 1TB and I have used 150GB of it.

    As always, advice and help appreciated.
  2. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a


    Dec 25, 2010
    New Jersey
    It seems like all things are pointing to Fall 2015. Most likely a spec bump. Maybe even the introduction of a 21.5" with Retina. No one is certain though. The best indicators are generally hardware availability from Intel, followed by Nvidia and/or AMD.
  3. strukt macrumors regular


    Aug 8, 2012
    I think you already know the answer to your question. ;)

    Only Apple know when they will release new models but I don't think the iMac will be updated within the next couple of weeks or months at least.
  4. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502


    Feb 28, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Cheers guys. I guessed this would be the reply, but just wanted confirmation just in case there was something coming that I had missed. Having looked at similar threads I am now contemplating the 5k model :eek:
  5. scottish macrumors 6502a

    Aug 10, 2011
    I'm in a similar situation to you. Our iMac has given 7.5 years of service with an SSD and minor RAM upgrade along the way. It still works great for basic tasks but as soon as you do something a bit more intensive it gets slow (running Mavericks) and I would like to use it for photography work. Since someone spilled something on the keyboard some of the keys no longer work and the scroll ball on the mighty mouse is about gone.

    So now I'm at the stage of deciding whether to replace now or hang on for the next update. If waiting I will probably need to add an extra 1GB of RAM and replace the keyboard and mouse which will cost about £100 and this is why I then think I should just replace now.

    But the fact the iMacs haven't been updated for a while makes me hesitant and tempts me towards the 5K because it is pretty new!
  6. matreya macrumors 65816


    Nov 14, 2009
    I'd suggest getting the Retina iMac, it's a really *nice* display.

    And if you're doing image processing I would recommend the 4.0GHz i7 CTO build option, along with the GPU upgrade.
  7. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

    Jan 26, 2008
    Yeah, the retina iMac is definitely worth a look. There really is no reason to wait.

    My suggestion for you is to go ahead and get the iMac now with a 1TB Fusion drive. That way you can enjoy the speed of an SSD yet still have plenty of space to grow. Be sure to budget for AppleCare as well to protect your investment for the next 3 years. Also, get the 8GB model for now and you can upgrade later yourself if needed.
  8. Serban Suspended

    Jan 8, 2013
    if you want a 21.5" iMac then wait couple a months for the 4K iMac
    if you want the 27" you can pick one now because the big change was already made :D
    probably in fall only broawell chips with the internals SSD read write speeds up to 1 Gbs speed and new Nvidia/Amd chips and thats it

Share This Page

7 March 9, 2015