New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Habu71, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Habu71 macrumors newbie

I am ready to buy my new iMac. Couple of quick questions:
    --has anyone bought a refurbished Mac from Apple. Looks like a good deal--what are your thoughts?

--I am deciding between the 27" with thd 380 or the 390 video cards. I am not a gamer--which card should I get. Is it worth the extra money fro the 390 if just doing basic programs?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Consensus here, is that it represents a good deal. Many people love going the refurb route.

It depends on your usage, what exactly is "basic" programs. I think the M390 may be a nice bump in performance and worth the price increase, but then this is coming from someone who opted for the M395 (which provides the 2TB Fusion drive in the stock configuration).

3. crusher372, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016

crusher372 macrumors member

I'm not a big time gamer anymore but do play a few Steam games and recently bought the base 27" 5k iMac. After 3 days I returned it for the stock 1tb fusion driven m390 model. The bump in gaming performance is pretty significant and though I only have the 1tb fusion drive the 24gb ssd front end has proven to be extremely fast at boot and program loading. The extra $200 is far and away worth the bump in performance, especially when driving this incredible 5k screen. I am using an external 500gb Evo ssd fed through the Usb 3 port and it is remarkable how much faster it is viewing and managing my photos and videos through that drive. Love my setup and can't imagine needing more.

4. EricandSuebee macrumors member

Apple is the only company I will EVER buy refurb from and speaking to that I am typing this out on a brand new iMac 5k refurb that I just got today.