"New" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by inhalexhale1, Jun 9, 2016.

1. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

The store has the "new" label on them, but as far as I can tell they are the late 2015 models. Does Apple just have a loose idea of the word new? Anyone look at them last week or so and notice it?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes they are late 2015.

3. MadDane macrumors 6502a

Yes. Apple just have a loose definition of when something is new.

4. inhalexhale1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Laughable something 6months old is listed as "new" on their page.

5. cynics macrumors G3

Its technically their newest model. I guess they feel compelled to do that when there is no good well defined naming scheme like iPhone 7 or iPad Air 2 however they are becoming more and more confusing as well...

6. inhalexhale1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but newest model, and "new" are different. The "new" tag isn't on everything, even if it's the latest model. It's odd they would tag something 6 months old as "new".

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

It's the new one until the next new one is released. It's actually pretty simple concept for most people to grasp.

8. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

If there's not a newer one, than that is the 'new' one.

9. cynics macrumors G3

That is a stretch (albeit not incorrect i.e. newEST) of the definition 'new' which would be more akin to 'recent' one of its many synonyms.

And if we were going to play with the word 'new' why stop there? We could say anything is 'new' to the customer once they receive it since its 'new to them'.

Just playing devils advocate. :)

10. inhalexhale1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wrong. By your logic, all of their products would be tagged "new". That isn't the case.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2016 ---
    Yea, haha, really. They should put the new tag on the refurbs too.

11. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

The new stamp usually only stays on for a month or so, why they haven't taken it down on the iMac I don't know. Maybe because their processors are "new" compared to all other macs. Or apple forgot to take the new tag down (it has happened before) But, at least I dont want it to be a reason for the next iMac update to be delayed another year. I really want those polaris GPU's in my iMac. And now that the new GPUS are smaller and makes less heat, Apple has a golden opportunity to add desktop class GPU's into iMacs. Which would make the current iMac and all previous instantly outdated.

12. inhalexhale1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I believe the "new" 21.5" iMac is not using the current Skylake processors. This would make it even more odd.

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They are not they are using broadwell because the appropriate skylake desktop i5's and i7's with the better Iris pro graphics were not available last year when the iMacs were updated.

14. evelync macrumors newbie

On'e understanding of the lingo depends on one's perspective as a consumer and experience with Apple, inhaleexhale1. Apple has released new imac hardware, from what I can tell, once per year. And for people who keep up with the yearly? release of the imac, they know that the latest imac is the 2015 release. There are of course earlier editions of the imac from earlier years.
    Then there is the subject of whether an earlier edition of the imac, say their 2014 release is being offered brand new or as used.
    So there's a lot of confusion with our language that we have to get around.
    The current most recent model is the 2015 imac and it has a number associated with it. It can be offered as brand new or it can be offered as used - refurbished.
    So, I think it is best before buying an apple product to verify for yourself both the date of the machine and the number associated with that machine plus whether it is being offered new or used.
    Siri for the imac that was just announced at the WWDC will only be compatible with late 2009 imacs and later.
    HOWEVER!!!! if you plan on buying an imac, there may be a brand new model later this year but we don't know that yet because Apple has not announced it. They will release siri software with the latest operating system in the fall of this year - it may or may not, I supposed come with new hardware.
    It takes a lot of reading to keep up with this stuff:) And yes, it can be confusing - so it's best to wear a belt and suspenders by checking the date and the model number first.

15. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

16. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

because they are not planning to update the imac until 2017 at the earliest - so they consider the current one brand new.

17. MH01, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016

MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Cause the laptops and macs are over 18 months since an update ;)

240 days is brand new for Apple hardware these days. Heck should say "launched"

18. cynics macrumors G3

Huh?!?!

You mean... "coming soon"....

:D

19. inhalexhale1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, it would seem so. It also seems dishonest to list something 6 months old as "new". Like you said, these are 2015 models and we're about halfway through 2016.

20. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

Apple should do what automanufactorers do when they label something new. ;)

I used to work for an automotive paint manufacturer where the car companies would do their model changeover in June/July.

21. inhalexhale1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, but we have the MacBook Pro that hasn't been updated since 2015 as well. There isn't a new tag on that.

22. evelync macrumors newbie

On second thought, I'm not sure where you are seeing "new". Is it on check out for a purchase? It is possible they are distinguishing the product as brand new vs "refurbished"? They do sell refurbished products. I looked on their web site and don;t see "new" looking at an imac.

23. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

It's clearly their "new" product sign.

24. evelync macrumors newbie

so you agree that it means "new" rather than "refurbished" as opposed to denoting that they have just released it, correct? thanks:)

25. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Well for the 27" model, there isn't much for Apple to update thanks to Intel. Per the latest roadmaps from Intel, the first SKUs for Kaby Lake-S (the Desktop CPU) are not scheduled to ship until mid-December, with some SKUs not shipping until late March 2017. And that's just initial release - not volume production.

So really we are unlikely to see a new 27" iMac with Kaby Lake-S CPUs and AMD Polaris GPUs until 2017, which is why I believe if we do see a Late 2016 Update, it will be the current model with USB-C, Thunderbolt 3 and hopefully DDR4.