New iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daniel851, Jun 22, 2007.

1. daniel851 macrumors newbie

I'm interested in buying a new iMac for when I go to high school next year. I'm looking at either the 17-inch 2.0GHz or the 20-inch 2.16GHz. I'm not one who knows much about technology, so I was wondering if the .16 difference of GHz makes that much of a difference in the computer's performance.

Also - is this the right buy for me? All I'm really going to be doing is standard computer stuff (i.e. word documents, lots of music files, burning dvd's/CD's).

Thank you!

2. dirtleg macrumors member

I can't answer the technical questions, but as far as being happy with the iMac I think you will be.

My wife teaches high school and has used Mac's in her class room for years. Both my daughters used Mac's in high school and the oldest is using a Mac Book in college now. We are going to update our old G3 this summer to a new iMac and are looking forward to it very much. We have been a Mac family since our old Apple II GS many years ago.

Good luck in school!

3. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

You won't really notice any difference between 2.0 GHz and 2.16 GHz... however, if you can afford it I'd still go with the 20" model. It will give you more workspace your screen - making it easier to view (for example) two documents at the same time.

If you can, you might wait a month or two before buying - since new iMacs are rumored to be coming soon.

4. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Without question, get the 20". The screen size difference is huge. You'll also get a larger HD and the option to increase the VRAM, which could be useful down the road, especially if you are thinking of adding an external display.

5. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

I don't know if you can wait for the rumored update to the iMac line, but you'll definitely get more for your money if you do. Current iMac pricing has been the same for 280+ days, despite the availability of newer hardware.

Also, iMac for high school? Lucky :)

6. daniel851 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your input! I will definitely consider the 20-inch one now.

Leopard is supposed to be released in October 2007, no? That may be a little long to wait, but then you don't have to go and buy Leopard and update, etc. so it may be worth it.

:)

7. HMSAgincourt macrumors newbie

If you will be getting an imac soon, you should use actual computers at American TV or CompUSA. It is best to try out the different versions so you can determine what you would happy with. You should also try your software, or something similar, at the different speeds. If you know you would save a lot of time and effort by getting a faster speed, then get it. If not, then it won't be worth the cost.
    If you are going to wait for upgrades, you should consider the free ipod with the education discount and the X.5 upgrade as well. If the ipod offer ends well before the assumed X.5 upgrade, you should get the computer as soon as the imac is updated. If you buy them off the Apple online store, you should save $100 for the computer and get the free ipod with the student discount.

8. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

I have a 20" and have never been more happy with a computer. I've gone through quite a few Macs too. I've had an iBook, Powerbook and G4 tower. The iMac is simplicity in it's finest.
    The bigger the better. 17" really isn't much these days. I guess a lot of it depends on what you're doing but I love the 20" and secretly covet the 24"(don't tell my iMac!). As for the speed, RAM is going to make way more of a difference than the processor. 167 Mhz is nothing compared to another gig of RAM. I'd say put 3GB of RAM in there and get an external disk. Wait for Leopard if you can but if not, go for it! You won't regret it a bit....

9. daniel851 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried some of the Macs at the Apple store, and I will probably think about going there to experiment with the different screen sizes and speeds of the hard disks.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't the iPod rebate only for college students only?

10. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

I don't think video RAM beyond 128MB would make much of a difference for multi-monitor, except maybe if you're driving a QUXGA screen or something.

11. arielled01 macrumors member

i'd wait because new imacs are scheduled to be released this summer. and if it was just a faulty rumor the student discounts are until september something so you're in luck. just my opinion though: wait to see if upgrades come this summer.