New iMac???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by louismgrafix, Feb 27, 2008.

1. louismgrafix macrumors newbie

When the new iMac does come out, hopefully next week, but maybe 2 or 3 weeks. What do you think the odds are that they will make a matte screen version. The gloss screen is the major thing holding me back from buying an iMac.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The latest revision to the iMac is a major revamp. They probably spent a long time designing the computer and they would not be changing things like this so soon.

I reckon the chances of a matte option are a firm zero. I think it looks better with the gloss but it looks hideous with the black rim and black back.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can take off the glass with suction cups. And new iMacs are no less than a month away.

We'll have Tuesdaily updates the rest of the year, but no iMacs next Tuesday.

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Oh, really?

5. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

While it is just a rumour, how can you guarantee "no iMacs next Tuesday"? You can't.

6. louismgrafix thread starter macrumors newbie

I've seen some things about taking the glass off around the net, so are you saying I could take the glass off and have a nice matte screen and just use it like that? The glossy glass doesn't have to be there to protect the screen or anything like that?

7. stevegmu macrumors regular

Apparently it pops right off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0o2WdrN3M

8. louismgrafix thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but can you keep the glass off permanently?

9. sa7078 macrumors newbie

Switching from Windows to new iMacs

So after 15 years loyal to Windows (five flagship Dells), primarily due to Window's past software availability and bleeding edge hardware, I'm finally switching to Mac. Really tired of Vista quirks, flakiness, crapware and have general Windows fatique. Getting the iPod touch recently confirmed how much better Apple is at OS/software and have been playing with Leopard at Apple Stores, which is just super elegant and fast. Most important, desktops are more digital appliances now, less of software machines. For games, I have a PS3 and XBox 360, which are on par with the bleeding edge of PCs. And Apple's Intel switch makes everything more compatible. Can't wait to switch but am holding off until the iMac is bumped in specs. However, really wish Apple would make a power model between the consumer iMac and the professional (overpowered for me) Mac Pros. But if iMac is going to be top of line for consumers, wish Apple would offer Blu-ray and higher line Intel chips. I get the close architecture philosophy but wish Apple offered wider range of machines to compensate for lack of competition/variety. Still, ready and excited to make the switch. Anyone have any thoughts as to when we'll see the iMac spec refresh and what might be upgraded? CPUs? GPUs?

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes indeed, and I would say the same for the prospect of a new iMac coming out next week or in the next 2 to 3 weeks as well. :p

But you never know.