New Imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by guklein, Nov 22, 2008.

  1. guklein macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    #1
    Hello,

    I want to buy an Imac 20'' but I am afraid of a new model is coming soon.

    Is it better to wait? The new model will have so many upgrades? And the price, will be the same?

    Thank you so much,

    Gustavo
     
  2. ditzy macrumors 68000

    ditzy

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
  3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #3
    Pretty much wait until MacWorld. The only upgrades will be processor speed, HDD size, and lack of FireWire 400.
     
  4. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
  5. adamvk macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #5
    Hopefully the video card will be changed. It probably will be though because Apple just updated the video card in the macbooks, and the Apple desktops have been using the same video cards for 1-2 years already, and are ready for an update
     
  6. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    #6
    That's the ONE thing holding me back. As soon as the video card is updated and whatever else needs to be, they have my money.
     
  7. sam10685 macrumors 68000

    sam10685

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2006
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #7
    I'd buy now because unless there's some HUGE (and spendy) new technology, you're not really going to see a very fast speed increase from what is available now.
     
  8. dannyboxer macrumors regular

    dannyboxer

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2008
    #8
     
  9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #9
    As much as we detest that, it's an upgrade according to Apple.
     
  10. dannyboxer macrumors regular

    dannyboxer

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2008
    #10
    Oh Yeah lol
     
  11. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    #11
    And about the price? Will it be the same or much higher? (about $1500 20'' 2MB memory 2.66GHz).

    I live in Brazil and the price of Imac 20'' is very attractive at the moment. If new updates aren't so importants maybe it is a good idea to buy it now.

    Thank you.
     
  12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #12
    Prices will remain the same. Waiting is always worth it unless you must have a computer for work now. If you wait, you'll get better for the same price. If you don't like the "better" (usually a result of people being mad that the case doesn't look exactly like their daydreams), you can buy the previous model (the current one) for less. You win either way.
     
  13. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    #13
    I was thinking the new models would be more expensive...+25%!
     
  14. darrellishere macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2007
    #14
    2 Months away is such a long time - its going to be a long waite :(
     
  15. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    #15
    Look at the bright side...you know you're not waiting alone :cool:
     
  16. Icaras macrumors 603

    Icaras

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Location:
    California, United States
    #16
    Thats the second time I've seen the word wait spelled "waite" on these message boards. Did I miss the memo somewhere? :confused::confused:
     
  17. adamvk macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #17
    Yes its 2 months or so, but December goes by fast due to Christmas, so it will fly by.
     
  18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #18
    It'se Olde Englishe Monthe. Thou hast forsaken thine fascimile!
     
  19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

    Tomorrow

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2008
    Location:
    Always a day away
    #19
    I must have missed that memoe too.
     
  20. chrisdee macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    #20
    I would wait untill new updates. I would be dissapointed if any new imac doesnt come with quad cpu and SSD option.

    Reguarding heat, noise, power consuption and size SSD would be ideal for IMAC.
    It would also be very nice to se a possibility for two SSD disks in a IMAC.

    I can't se no problem with putting SSD inside IMAC instead of SATA.
    If you need more megabyte you can only buy a additional eksternal firewire disk.

    Come on Apple. It's time for a IMAC quad SSD version.
     
  21. Bodine macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2007
    #21
    If you need a new computer I'd get it now. Tomorrow would be a good time too because of the black Friday sales. Otherwise, it's probably a good idea to wait until after Macworld. It looks promising that there will be updates to the iMac at Macworld since the current versions have been out for about 7 months and the average time between updates is 7 months. So the iMac is coming due. But that is far from being a sure thing.

    As far as getting lower prices, it's hard to say. Generally the prices stay the same and the hardware get upgraded, (like larger hard drives, new graphics cards and such). Maybe (and that's a big maybe) there will be a lower priced 20 inch if they use the new integrated nivida graphics chip they used in the new macbook.
     

Share This Page